    thanks
    anna

    , Nov 29, 2005

  2. wrote:

    >Hello
    >
    >We have PKZIP 2.04 version installed. The command that works is
    >pkzip.exe sample.zip *.pdf
    >the one that doesn't work is
    >pkzip.exe sample.zip abc.pdf xyz.pdf
    >Can anyone please suggest why my second command isn't working?

    Hello Anna,

    pkzip 2.04 is from 1993. It cannot handle long filenames.
    Did you check this?

    Reinhardt

    Reinhardt Kern, Nov 29, 2005

  3. CCB Mitchell Guest

    As Reinhard stated, PKZIP 2.04 is quite old. The latest version of
    PKZIP for DOS is 2.50, released in 1999. (Yes, some people still use
    DOS 6.x for business computers.. ;-)) The latest version for Windows
    is 9.x something.

    To answer your question.. Because of the way DOS (including the
    various command processors, COMMAND.COM and CMD.EXE, what many people
    call a "DOS box" under Win32 OS's) works, the "*.pdf" is not being
    expanded by the command processor. Rather, it is being expanded by a
    code stub inside the pkzip.exe executable. Because of this, that old
    (legacy) code may have some bugs which cause it to fail under newer
    OS's.

    Your best bet is to upgrade PKZIP to a newer version; get WinZip,
    PKZip for Windows, or one of the freeware ZIP managers, such as
    Info-Zip (do a google search for it ;-)); or read the PKZIP docs to
    learn how to use @<listfile> include/exclude files. For example, the
    first command, below, outputs the directory listing of all *.pdf's
    into a file called "PDFList.txt", which you can then edit before
    passing on to PKZIP.

    dir /b *.pdf > PDFList.txt
    pkzip.exe MyPDFs.zip @PDFList.txt

    If this still does not work.. Well, PKZIP 2.04 is so old, it is
    unlikely you will find much other help. Time to upgrade! (I believe
    Info-Zip works under DOS 5.x and higher, as well as any Windows
    version command processors. But do not quote me on that..)

    Good luck.

    --
    CCB Mitchell
    <casRteeGle-AT-innEoce9nt-DOT-cNom> or <caEsteNele-AT-gm3aiGl-DOT-coEm>

    CCB Mitchell, Dec 4, 2005

    Thanks for the recommendation and suggestions. But I am not really in a
    position to upgrade. I figured that PKZIP not only like long file names
    it also, doesnt like long paths. Workaround was to create a temp folder
    and create the zip file in the temp folder. Move it to the requested
    folder and delete the temp folder

    , Dec 9, 2005
  5. James Guest

    I have been running PKZip since ver 1x and ended with 2.5 which has been
    run on all boxes up to and including W2k with no problems other than the
    length of the path. Like you I just do the work in a higher level
    folder and relocate it to where I want it located. As long as it works
    I will likely continue using it.

    James

    James, Dec 11, 2005