    MS Office 2007
    XP Home SP3
    Dell Inspiron 1501

    Paul, Feb 17, 2009

  2. Paul

    Graham Mayor Guest

    Interesting. The list is stored in the registry at
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12\Word\FileMRU
    My guess is that uninstalling this particular add-in rolls back the registry
    system via the System Restore function to the state that it was in when
    installed, thus amending the MRU to the state it was in at that time. A way
    to confirm that would be to re-install the add-in (it does not impinge on
    system performance) then use Windows system restore to restore to the time
    before you uninstalled it. This should put back the registry to its state
    then.
    --
    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
    Graham Mayor - Word MVP

    My web site www.gmayor.com
    Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

    Graham Mayor, Feb 17, 2009

  3. Paul

    Paul Guest

    I installed the Save to PDF function, and at some time after I started this
    thread, after seeing them all go away, I rebuilt the MRU list by opening up
    lots of documents. THe menu was behaving very strange. At first, there were
    numbers only for the first 9 documents. I had more than nine, but the rest
    didn't have the number on the left side (in the Office Button menu). Just
    now, the recent files list vanished. I closed down Word, re-opened it, logged
    back out and in again, and still--nothing.

    If I continue with 2007, I'm definitely going to use the Work menu instead
    of "pin to start menu" feature. At any rate, apart from reinstalling Office
    which is only slightly more fun than reinstalling Windows is there anything
    else I can do?
    I did a Google search and a search through this forum but saw nothing that
    mimicked my problem here.
    --
    Paul

    MS Office 2007
    XP Home SP3
    Dell Inspiron 1501

    Paul, Feb 18, 2009
  4. Paul

    Paul Guest

    BTW--the option in the Word Options has always been "17." I haven't changed
    it up or down since I installed Office 2007.
    --
    Paul

    MS Office 2007
    XP Home SP3
    Dell Inspiron 1501

    Paul, Feb 18, 2009
  5. Paul

    Paul Guest

    I don't know if this is part of teh same problem or not, but I've also
    noticed that the Close Window button on the QAT has stopped working. I can
    close the doc with Ctrl+W, but not by clicking on that button.
    --
    Paul

    MS Office 2007
    XP Home SP3
    Dell Inspiron 1501

    Paul, Feb 18, 2009
  6. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Never mind. I just realized that Ccleaner, a system cleaner, surreptitiously,
    after I installed Office 2007, decided that I wanted to clean up the MRU
    lists and whatever else it decided I didn't want in that program. Man its one
    thing to notice a new program being installed and giving you options, but
    quite another to decide to remove MRU lists on its own. I'm gonna uninstall
    that as soon as I'm done posting here.
    --
    Paul

    MS Office 2007
    XP Home SP3
    Dell Inspiron 1501

    Paul, Feb 18, 2009
  7. Registry cleaners are insidious and generally unnecessary, and that one is
    notorious for wiping all the Registry settings you actually want to save.

    --
    Suzanne S. Barnhill
    Microsoft MVP (Word)

    Suzanne S. Barnhill, Feb 18, 2009
  8. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Suzanne, although Ccleaner does have registry-cleaning functionality, I was
    using it as a temp file cleaner only. Its just that, like I said, it sees
    new programs you've installed and assumes you want them scrubbed of MRUs and
    what not. Rather atrocious default behavior if you ask me. Anyways, I'm
    slowly rebuilding my Recent Files list in Word now....
    --
    Paul

    MS Office 2007
    XP Home SP3