    adding it back but it doesn't work.

    Thanks,
    Nick

    Nick, Aug 18, 2004

  2. It is either coming from an invalid entry in DNS, WINS or an lmhosts or a
    hosts file.

    --
    Scott Harding
    MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

    Scott Harding - MS MVP, Aug 18, 2004

  3. use dig or netdig (www.mvptool.com) or nslookup to see what server is
    returning the reply. Then check that server.

    --
    William Stacey, MVP

    William Stacey [MVP], Aug 18, 2004
  4. Nick

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 08:11:14 -0700, "Nick"
    <> wrote:

    >I changed an IP of a server. When I try to ping the
    >computer using the computer name, it returns the old IP
    >address. I changed it a long time ago and it hasn't
    >updated the information? I know my replication is working
    >and it can take up to an hour for DNS to update this
    >information. Is there any way to do this manually? I've
    >tried removing the computer from active directory and
    >adding it back but it doesn't work.

    Have you checked the DNS to see what the IP is configured as? Hosts
    file? WINS or LMHosts?

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran, Aug 18, 2004
  5. M> When I try to ping the computer using the computer
    M> name, it returns the old IP address. I changed it
    M> a long time ago and it hasn't updated the information?

    * _Where_ did you change the name->address information ?

    * How do you know that "ping" is actually using the information that you
    changed ? "ping", like other Windows applications, can use multiple
    sources of information for mapping names to addresses. Did you check
    that you were changing the right one ?

    Jonathan de Boyne Pollard, Aug 19, 2004
  6. Nick

    Guest Guest

    My domain controler is returning the wrong IP when I run
    nslookup from it.

    Guest, Aug 19, 2004
  7. Nick

    Guest Guest

    I changed the IP from the properties on the network card.

    Guest, Aug 19, 2004
  8. Nick

    Guest Guest

    I believe DNS has the wrong IP address. I would like to
    change it to the correct one, but I don't know how to.

    Guest, Aug 19, 2004
  9. Nick

    Guest Guest

    Thanks to all replies. I kind of figured that it was. I
    just don't know a)how to check DNS, WINS, and lmhosts? and
    b) how do I correct it if it is wrong in there?

    Guest, Aug 19, 2004
  10. Nick

    Guest Guest

    Is Lmhosts related to netbios, because I'm not using
    netbios. And when I look at it there isn't anything listed
    in this file.

    Guest, Aug 19, 2004
  11. In news:131801c48535$9a4d3ad0$,
    Nick <> wrote their comments
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > I changed an IP of a server. When I try to ping the
    > computer using the computer name, it returns the old IP
    > address. I changed it a long time ago and it hasn't
    > updated the information? I know my replication is working
    > and it can take up to an hour for DNS to update this
    > information. Is there any way to do this manually? I've
    > tried removing the computer from active directory and
    > adding it back but it doesn't work.

    When changing the IP address on a DC, you should not just change the IP
    address on the NIC, this will cause replication errors and problems, because
    until every other DCs have the new IP of the DC your changing the IP address
    on they will try to replicate with the old IP
    ..
    To change the IP address on a DC first add the new IP address to the NIC,
    then go to DNS properties, on the interfaces tab select "Listen on all IP
    addresses" Add the new IP to the DNS server list on all DCs

    Run this command: Netdiag /fix and restart the netlogon service.

    Then run netdiag /test:dns /v to verify that the new address is registered
    in DNS.

    Force a replication in NTDS settings in AD Sites & Services

    Run dcdiag /test:replications /e /v to verify replication has taken place,
    this could take up to one hour.

    After replication has been verified, remove the old IP address from the DC
    and all DNS server lists on all DCs and machines, run ipconfig /flushdns,
    netdiag /fix, and netdiag /test:dns /v, force another replication in NTDS
    settings, and verify replication with dcdiag /test:replications /e /v

    Changing the IP addres on a DC should never be taken lightly, you should add
    the old IP back to the DC then follow the steps I have given.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

    Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP], Aug 19, 2004
  12. Nick

    Guest Guest

    I didn't change the IP address of the DC. I changed the
    IP address of my test server. But the name isn't
    translating correctly.

    comments

    Guest, Aug 19, 2004
  13. JdeBP> * _Where_ did you change the name->address information ?

    a> I changed the IP from the properties on the network card.

    Unless the DHCP client on that machine is configured to register an
    appropriate name->address mapping in the DNS database whenever you do
    that, you won't have changed what your DNS server is actually
    publishing. And since you haven't changed what your DNS server is
    actually publishing, at least one of the several possible sources of
    name->address mapping information that "ping" may be consulting may have
    out of date data.

    I'm going to presume that you are going to use the DNS to store your
    name->address mappings, and that you are going to leave the other
    sources of information that "ping" consults empty.

    If this is a statically assigned IP address, either (a) enter the
    updated name->address mapping in your DNS server's database by hand, or
    (b) configure the DHCP client on that machine to use Dynamic DNS updates
    to attempt to do the same thing unattended.

    If this is a dynamically assigned IP address, configure your DHCP server
    to use Dynamic DNS updates to register the name->address mapping in your
    DNS server's database when it grants the lease. (You could configure
    your DHCP clients to do this, instead, but such a scheme does not scale
    and is usually avoided by administrators.)

    Jonathan de Boyne Pollard, Aug 20, 2004
  14. Nick

    Nick Guest

    This worked. Thanks.