PING and my set up ?

Reaction score
Hi everyone

This is my first thread on this forum so I hope you will bear with me.

My system is a Dell Dimension 9150 running XP with dual core processor and 3gb memory. I am currently contracted to AOL as my ISP through a netgear ADSL set-up.

Some months ago our service began to drop off significantly at the same time of day 4.15pm until 9.45pm some times to lower than dial up speed. I have contacted AOL but seem to banging my head against a brick wall.

I have asked AOL to contact BT to have my line checked and up-graded if possible (on going), however when my son plays his favourite game online “Battlefield 2” his ping drops from 32 to between 200 and 300.

Can any body give us some help with information on weather its this machine, AOL, or BT our set to the internet is via an extension from the phone inlet to the computer, however this problem only started when AOL began mucking around with our ISP speed.

Many thanks for your help.

Jim

Reaction score
The issue your experiencing sounds alot like contention ration issues.
I'd place my money on the issue being AOL, they don't invest well in their infrastructure.
Personally I'd recommend changing ISP (I use SKY, they have no throttling of connections which makes them ideal for gaming). AOL have always been the ISP you use for friendliness but not efficency.

Thats my 2 bucks
Regards

Me

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Agreed, clearly contention.

Sack AOL and go with another provider. :)

I do a lot of online gaming and cant fault my ISP Vivaciti (entanet)

I ping uk servers at around 23ms.

Good link for you. :)

http://www.dslzoneuk.net/isp_ratings.php

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
welcome to PCR

Let's hear it for ... AOHell

:wave:

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Let's hear it for ... AOHell

happywave.gif

Re-frase >AOHell I shyte myself:lol:
Couldn`t resist it:wave:

Reaction score
"Thanks All " this just confirms my fears, sadley Iam tied into a contract with AOhell until the end of this year.

I will keep in touch when ever I can given the job I do.

Ask a Question