Personal workbook

Discussion in 'Microsoft Excel Programming' started by Doogie, Jul 30, 2008.

  1. Doogie

    Doogie Guest

    I've created a personal workbook that I am containing macros in. It
    is hidden so when I open other workbooks it doesn't show - which is
    what I want - however when I close out the other workbooks (or try to
    close out Excel completely) the personal workbook stays - just with
    it's window hidden. How do I get around that?
     
    Doogie, Jul 30, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. Doogie

    Jim Rech Guest

    Unless you unhide Personal.xls and close it, it will remain open as long as
    Excel is. That's a good thing too.

    --
    Jim
    "Doogie" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    | I've created a personal workbook that I am containing macros in. It
    | is hidden so when I open other workbooks it doesn't show - which is
    | what I want - however when I close out the other workbooks (or try to
    | close out Excel completely) the personal workbook stays - just with
    | it's window hidden. How do I get around that?
     
    Jim Rech, Jul 31, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. Doogie

    Doogie Guest

    On Jul 31, 9:03 am, "dustinbrearton via OfficeKB.com" <u44989@uwe>
    wrote:
    > How do you know it remains open when Excel is closed?  Are you seeing Excel
    > as a process in your task manager.   You should leave personal.xls openwhile
    > you are using excel.  On default personal.xls is set to open and close with
    > excel.  If you close it before you are done using excel then you won't be
    > able to use your macros.  If you don't see excel in the task manager then
    > personal.xls is not open.  Hope that helps.
    >
    > Jim Rech wrote:
    > >Unless you unhide Personal.xls and close it, it will remain open as longas
    > >Excel is.  That's a good thing too.

    >
    > >| I've created a personal workbook that I am containing macros in.  It
    > >| is hidden so when I open other workbooks it doesn't show - which is
    > >| what I want - however when I close out the other workbooks (or try to
    > >| close out Excel completely) the personal workbook stays - just with
    > >| it's window hidden.  How do I get around that?

    >
    > --
    > Message posted via OfficeKB.comhttp://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/excel-programming/200807/1


    If I open up another workbook (for example "MyWorkbook.xlsx)
    "personal.xlsx" is opened behind the scenes. All is great with the
    world. When I close out "MyWorkbook.xlsx", "personal.xlsx" is still
    open and I can see it. (The window is hidden, but Excel is kept
    open. If I only ever had "MyWorkbook.xlsx" open, then if I want to
    get out of Excel I have to close things out TWICE, once for
    "MyWorkbook.xlsx" and one for "personal.xlsx". That, from a user
    standpoint, could be a little annoying. I was wondering if there was
    a way around that.
     
    Doogie, Jul 31, 2008
    #3
  4. Doogie

    Jim Rech Guest

    I understand what you are referring to. This is a side-effect of having the
    "Show all windows in the Taskbar" option set on under Excel Options,
    Advanced, Display. If you can live without this you should turn it off. I
    don't know of any other remedy.

    --
    Jim
    "Doogie" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    On Jul 31, 9:03 am, "dustinbrearton via OfficeKB.com" <u44989@uwe>
    wrote:
    > How do you know it remains open when Excel is closed? Are you seeing Excel
    > as a process in your task manager. You should leave personal.xls open
    > while
    > you are using excel. On default personal.xls is set to open and close with
    > excel. If you close it before you are done using excel then you won't be
    > able to use your macros. If you don't see excel in the task manager then
    > personal.xls is not open. Hope that helps.
    >
    > Jim Rech wrote:
    > >Unless you unhide Personal.xls and close it, it will remain open as long
    > >as
    > >Excel is. That's a good thing too.

    >
    > >| I've created a personal workbook that I am containing macros in. It
    > >| is hidden so when I open other workbooks it doesn't show - which is
    > >| what I want - however when I close out the other workbooks (or try to
    > >| close out Excel completely) the personal workbook stays - just with
    > >| it's window hidden. How do I get around that?

    >
    > --
    > Message posted via
    > OfficeKB.comhttp://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/excel-programming/200807/1


    If I open up another workbook (for example "MyWorkbook.xlsx)
    "personal.xlsx" is opened behind the scenes. All is great with the
    world. When I close out "MyWorkbook.xlsx", "personal.xlsx" is still
    open and I can see it. (The window is hidden, but Excel is kept
    open. If I only ever had "MyWorkbook.xlsx" open, then if I want to
    get out of Excel I have to close things out TWICE, once for
    "MyWorkbook.xlsx" and one for "personal.xlsx". That, from a user
    standpoint, could be a little annoying. I was wondering if there was
    a way around that.
     
    Jim Rech, Jul 31, 2008
    #4
  5. Doogie

    Doogie Guest

    On Jul 31, 12:33 pm, "Jim Rech" <> wrote:
    > I understand what you are referring to.  This is a side-effect of having the
    > "Show all windows in the Taskbar" option set on under Excel Options,
    > Advanced, Display.  If you can live without this you should turn it off..  I
    > don't know of any other remedy.
    >
    > --
    > Jim"Doogie" <> wrote in message
    >
    > news:...
    > On Jul 31, 9:03 am, "dustinbrearton via OfficeKB.com" <u44989@uwe>
    > wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > > How do you know it remains open when Excel is closed? Are you seeing Excel
    > > as a process in your task manager. You should leave personal.xls open
    > > while
    > > you are using excel. On default personal.xls is set to open and close with
    > > excel. If you close it before you are done using excel then you won't be
    > > able to use your macros. If you don't see excel in the task manager then
    > > personal.xls is not open. Hope that helps.

    >
    > > Jim Rech wrote:
    > > >Unless you unhide Personal.xls and close it, it will remain open as long
    > > >as
    > > >Excel is. That's a good thing too.

    >
    > > >| I've created a personal workbook that I am containing macros in. It
    > > >| is hidden so when I open other workbooks it doesn't show - which is
    > > >| what I want - however when I close out the other workbooks (or try to
    > > >| close out Excel completely) the personal workbook stays - just with
    > > >| it's window hidden. How do I get around that?

    >
    > > --
    > > Message posted via
    > > OfficeKB.comhttp://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/excel-programming/200807/1

    >
    > If I open up another workbook (for example "MyWorkbook.xlsx)
    > "personal.xlsx" is opened behind the scenes.  All is great with the
    > world.  When I close out "MyWorkbook.xlsx", "personal.xlsx" is still
    > open and I can see it.  (The window is hidden, but Excel is kept
    > open.  If I only ever had "MyWorkbook.xlsx" open, then if I want to
    > get out of Excel I have to close things out TWICE, once for
    > "MyWorkbook.xlsx" and one for "personal.xlsx".  That, from a user
    > standpoint, could be a little annoying.  I was wondering if there was
    > a way around that.- Hide quoted text -
    >
    > - Show quoted text -


    I will mention that option to the user to see what she thinks. Thank
    you very much!
     
    Doogie, Jul 31, 2008
    #5
  6. Doogie

    Doogie Guest

    On Jul 31, 12:42 pm, "dustinbrearton via OfficeKB.com" <u44989@uwe>
    wrote:
    > I am not sure I completely understand your senario below.  Are you hitting
    > the large X in the far upper right corner and not the small one just below
    > the big one?  If you hit the large X you should be thrown all the way out of
    > Excel.  
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Doogie wrote:
    > >On Jul 31, 9:03 am, "dustinbrearton via OfficeKB.com" <u44989@uwe>
    > >wrote:
    > >> How do you know it remains open when Excel is closed?  Are you seeing Excel
    > >> as a process in your task manager.   You should leave personal.xls open while

    > >[quoted text clipped - 14 lines]
    > >> --
    > >> Message posted via OfficeKB.comhttp://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/excel-programming/200807/1

    >
    > >If I open up another workbook (for example "MyWorkbook.xlsx)
    > >"personal.xlsx" is opened behind the scenes.  All is great with the
    > >world.  When I close out "MyWorkbook.xlsx", "personal.xlsx" is still
    > >open and I can see it.  (The window is hidden, but Excel is kept
    > >open.  If I only ever had "MyWorkbook.xlsx" open, then if I want to
    > >get out of Excel I have to close things out TWICE, once for
    > >"MyWorkbook.xlsx" and one for "personal.xlsx".  That, from a user
    > >standpoint, could be a little annoying.  I was wondering if there was
    > >a way around that.

    >
    > --
    > Message posted viahttp://www.officekb.com- Hide quoted text -
    >
    > - Show quoted text -


    I am hitting the far x which should close out of Excel completely.
    But it doesn't it leaves the personal.xlsm open.
     
    Doogie, Jul 31, 2008
    #6
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Steven R. Berke

    What commands do you use to name a workbook, save a workbook,open a workbook

    Steven R. Berke, Jul 24, 2003, in forum: Microsoft Excel Programming
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    489
    pancho
    Jul 24, 2003
  2. ivarsb
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    603
    Tom Ogilvy
    Jul 27, 2004
  3. WimR
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    758
  4. RyanH

    Re: Update Personal Workbook Macros when Workbook is opened.

    RyanH, Aug 22, 2008, in forum: Microsoft Excel Programming
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    184
    RyanH
    Aug 22, 2008
  5. AB

    Re: How does Personal Macro Workbook become personal.xls

    AB, Mar 29, 2010, in forum: Microsoft Excel Programming
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    316
    Walter Briscoe
    Apr 27, 2010
Loading...

Share This Page