    Event ID: 2004
    Date: 8/29/2004
    Time: 10:03:20 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: JEMADSEN
    Unable to open the Server service. Server performance data will not be
    returned. Error code returned is in data DWORD 0.

    Data:
    0000: 34 00 00 c0 4..À

    When I go into Command Prompt, I get:

    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

    C:\Documents and Settings\Jim Madsen>Net Statistics
    Statistics are available for the following running services:

    Server
    Workstation

    The command completed successfully.

    So what does this error mean? And what is this Server service, I
    shouldn't have a server running.

    Jim

    Jim Madsen, Aug 30, 2004

  2. Jim Madsen

    Microsoft Guest

    As per Microsoft: "The extensible counter list utility (EXCTRLST.EXE) is
    used to obtain information about the extensible performance counter
    dynamic-link libraries (DLLs) on a computer running Windows NT/Windows 2000.
    This utility lists the applications, drivers, and services that are
    registered to provide performance data through the performance registry. You
    can use this utility for finding information and for troubleshooting"

    To fix this error, I had previously used the EXCTRLST.EXE utility and
    disabled the performance counters. This stopped the error message appearing
    in the event viewer, but I still did not have a server service in Services
    and I got an error message when clicking on shares in computer
    Management.Not a big deal I suppose, but I wanted to find out what was
    wrong. As I have a stand alone machine, I did not have File and Printer
    Sharing for Microsoft Networks installed. So, I went to dial up properties
    for my Dial up connection, Under Networking, installed the service File and
    Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks Left the check box for this service
    blank (as I don't want to use it) This immediately enabled the server
    service and I have since re-enabled the performance counters without any
    problems or error messages. A sharing tab now also appears under folder
    properties.

    www.helpline4it.com
    The Best IT Community Portal!
    www.helpline4it.com