pcmcia.sys is corrupted

Discussion in 'Windows XP Performance' started by Guest, Oct 28, 2003.

    Hi...i tried to boot my pc using Windows XP pro Setup boot floppy disks theres 6disks but when i come to disk 3 in the setup i get the error message pcmcia.sys is corrupted,the reason i tried to boot using the setup disks is because my pc freezes before the logon screen appears i thought it might work seeing as i cant log on in safe mode either when i try to all this driver detail text pops up then hangs there if you can help in any way or have the same prob please reply.....Cheers:)

    Guest, Oct 28, 2003

  2. Do you know which driver it hangs on ?
    Is it a desktop pc, or a laptop ?
    If its a desktop, does it actually use any pcmcia devices, they're those
    small credit card size plug in cards, usually used in laptops for modem, or
    network cards.

    Have you tried hitting a key to skip the file ? I forget which key, it
    should tell you

    Will your system not boot from the windows xp retail cd, or do you not have
    one ?

    Paul

    Paul B T Hodges, Oct 28, 2003

    Hi,i have a desktop when i let it load normal it freezes on the loading screen before the logon screen and when i try safe mode the last line to come up before it hangs there is ''multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\winnt\system32\drivers\mup.sys'' The pcmcia.sys corrupted message i got came when i was using the xp pro boot disks i have two pc s the one im using now which is a dinosaur but works fine and the one in my room(my baby:)which i wanna get going again without resorting to having it blown away,Thanks for your reply,any advice would be nice:) and no i never had a cd come with it.

    Guest, Oct 29, 2003
  4. Appears to have got to the end of the driver loading.

    I find it very odd that your new pc didn't at least come with a recovery cd,
    what make and model is it ?

    Is the pc with the problem running the home or professional edition of xp?

    What operating system is the older pc using. If its at least windows 2000
    you could take the hard disk out of the new pc and put it in the old pc, and
    run chkdsk.

    Otherwise, you' ll have to recreate the boot disk set, use this link
    http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...port/kb/articles/q310/9/94.asp&NoWebContent=1

    or as I said try skipping over the offending file.

    Once you've booted from the floppies you can run the recovery console and
    run chkdsk from there.

    If you have sp1 applied, download and create the sp1 boot disk set.

    Paul B T Hodges, Oct 29, 2003

    Hi,well i tried to do the sp1 boot disks that came up with loading probs i have xp pro on my pc(my baby)its a hum dinger really compared to others out there just that its better than the dinosaur im using at the moment running windows 98 with 4gig harddrive slow as but never had probs with it anyways ended up just giving my xp box to a friend whos gonna save what i asked for off the harddisk and blow it away i did try eh?Anyways thanks for trying to help me i hate taking the easy way out when errors come up might catch up sometime shout lunch or something:)...once again Paul cheers...

    Guest, Oct 30, 2003
  6. Good luck with it.

    Paul B T Hodges, Oct 30, 2003