Windows XP PC Won't Boot

Reaction score
Hi,

My pc was working fine until yesterday. When I switched it on I got a message saying that file msgina.dll (to do with logon) was missing or corrupt and to contact system administrator to re-install or fix problem.

However, this is a home pc.

I tried to boot from CD and repair XP but now all I get is the dell screen and can only press del to get to BIOS.

I have rest defaults on BIOS and tried to boot from XP disc again but now won't even boot from disc.

Someone please help I am in dire need of my PC in next couple of days.

Thanks

BTW I have 768MB
so know that is not a prob.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hey

If you set the boot priority in BIOS, you should be able to boot from the XP CD. This is basically telling your computer to look at the CD drive before it looks at your Hard Drive. Theres an option in there somewhere, so you can set that.

If you then boot from CD, you can look in the recovery console and there may be an option that fixes this.

But we don't know why your PC did this in the first place - it may be a virus, or it could be that yoru Hard Drive is on its way out.

Do you have good virus protection? How old is the computer, is it a custom build or shop bought? If so which model?

Regards

Chris P

Edit: When you say 768RM and 40GHz i would assume that you mean your hard drive runs at a spin speed of 7200rpm and has a total capacity of 40Gb, correct? Or is that some 768RM a model number of the part/model?

Edit 2: When your computer refers to the "System Administrator" on a home PC, that usually means yourself. It's computer people talk for the Owner/Person in charge e.g. if the PC was at a school, it would be the technician thats the Administrator. Just so you know :)

If you have had no virus's, i wouldn't rule out the fact that your HDD could well be on its way out, it sucks, big time, but it happens.

We won't come to that conclusion yet, we'll come up with some ideas that could hopefully mean a) it works again and b) you don't loose your valuable data. But you can't be sure of that.

Did you have your stuff backed up at all?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have tried doing a direct boot from CD through BIOS but will not. The computer is about 4 years old and is a shop build that has been added to.

Not sure what model etc as it was my brothers and he is no longer around to ask.

Did have norton latest edition but was a hassle going on net so uninstalled

Meant 768MB

Also that is divided between 2 hard drives

If hard drive is on its way out is there anyway that info can be taken off it before it goes completely?

Last edited:

Ask a Question