PC WILL NOT Shut Down...???

Discussion in 'Windows XP General' started by mark4man, Apr 27, 2010.

  1. mark4man

    mark4man Guest

    hello again...

    well...here's one I've never experienced before...[&...I'm not sure if it's
    an OS problem or a hdwe. problem...but I'm starting w/ the OS first, I
    suppose]:

    My computer (a Compaq SR5610F) will not shut off...when I go to Start > Shut
    Down > Shut Down Windows (running XP Pro). It simply reboots & starts up
    again...almost like I've selected 'Restart' instead of 'Shut Down'.

    it (the PC) seems to be running OK, save some weirdness, but the first thing
    I did was to run a full scan w/ AVG Anti-Virus (which also has Anti-RootKit
    & Anti-Spyware functionality...which is largely ineffective...but there).
    It came up w/ about 100 viruses; & I killed them all.

    Then...I started STOPZilla & ran a full scan...(STOPZilla is much more
    effective in the above mentioned departments...but I never let it start
    automatically 'cause it takes like 3 minutes to load).

    So...STOPZilla came up w/ one spyware app...in my Registry...known as
    'Nebular-E'. I killed that, then completely cleaned my computer again using
    MS 'Disc Cleanup', 'CCleaner' & 'Registry Mechanic'. I also killed
    everything I could from my browser (IE7)...history...temps...cookies, etc.,
    etc.

    Then I attempted a shut down again...& the machine again rebooted; &
    restarted.

    (to shut down, overnight,...I depressed the On/Off Switch on the
    Compaq...this morning...when I hit the same button...everything started
    normally...no overt other problems).

    didn't know where to turn...so I came here.

    anybody ever experience this before...a windows-based computer that will not
    turn off...???

    would sure appreciate some help...thanks very much,

    mark4man
    XP Pro v 2002; SP3

    mark4man, Apr 27, 2010

  2. mark4man

    Bob I Guest

    Turn off/UNcheck Automatically Restart in System Properties, Advanced,
    Startup and Recovery, Settings.

    Bob I, Apr 27, 2010
  3. mark4man

    Terry R. Guest

    On 4/27/2010 7:02 AM On a whim, mark4man pounded out on the keyboard

    > hello again...
    >
    > well...here's one I've never experienced before...[&...I'm not sure if it's
    > an OS problem or a hdwe. problem...but I'm starting w/ the OS first, I
    > suppose]:
    >
    > My computer (a Compaq SR5610F) will not shut off...when I go to Start> Shut
    > Down> Shut Down Windows (running XP Pro). It simply reboots& starts up
    > again...almost like I've selected 'Restart' instead of 'Shut Down'.
    >
    > it (the PC) seems to be running OK, save some weirdness, but the first thing
    > I did was to run a full scan w/ AVG Anti-Virus (which also has Anti-RootKit
    > & Anti-Spyware functionality...which is largely ineffective...but there).
    > It came up w/ about 100 viruses;& I killed them all.
    >
    > Then...I started STOPZilla& ran a full scan...(STOPZilla is much more
    > effective in the above mentioned departments...but I never let it start
    > automatically 'cause it takes like 3 minutes to load).
    >
    > So...STOPZilla came up w/ one spyware app...in my Registry...known as
    > 'Nebular-E'. I killed that, then completely cleaned my computer again using
    > MS 'Disc Cleanup', 'CCleaner'& 'Registry Mechanic'. I also killed
    > everything I could from my browser (IE7)...history...temps...cookies, etc.,
    > etc.
    >
    > Then I attempted a shut down again...& the machine again rebooted;&
    > restarted.
    >
    > (to shut down, overnight,...I depressed the On/Off Switch on the
    > Compaq...this morning...when I hit the same button...everything started
    > normally...no overt other problems).
    >
    > didn't know where to turn...so I came here.
    >
    > anybody ever experience this before...a windows-based computer that will not
    > turn off...???
    >
    > would sure appreciate some help...thanks very much,
    >

    > mark4man
    > XP Pro v 2002; SP3

    A lot of times it is a driver that is crashing on shutdown rather than
    exiting correctly. This causes Windows to restart instead.

    You probably have a driver(s) that may have been corrupted by the
    malware. I would start by downloading the most current video display
    driver and installing it, followed by other drivers.

    Report back,

    Terry R.

    Terry R., Apr 27, 2010
  4. mark4man

    Unknown Guest

    If you go to control panel--system--and remove check from automatic restart
    in advanced settings it
    will not restart. This way you can trap the error.

    Unknown, Apr 27, 2010