PC to Mini Disc How do you record ????????

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Hi i've got a Sony MZ-R700 and a MZ-NH700 mini disc both have optical sockets and me pc has an optical socket .
I've recorded from the pc to mini disc before by cable connection but I can't remember how . Tried for an hour or so today but just can't work it out . I'm not bothered about high speed transfers as I don't have time to sort out the software , it would take me hours .
Just want to record some music for me holls .

wallbash.gif
:blush::)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
It should be as simple as connecting the line out of your sound card or on board audio to the record in of the mini disc player.

This is usually done with a 3.5mm stereo jack plug (into sound card) to 2 x phono (RCA) sockets (into mini disc player).

Then check your sound device software to make sure line out is enabled.

Hit record/pause on minidisc player, play music on PC, see if recording bars show on player.

It should be as simple as that :)

I've never used optical but if you get the correct lead, that should be quite straightforward as well.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Thanks foppybootstomp ,

I had to disconnect me speakers and plug into line out socket to get it to work . Is there a way to record and have speakers aswell ????

My posh mini disc came with a usb cable , SonicStage and Simple Burner software from Sony . These should let me record at very high speeds :D but I think theres some copying protection issues . Anyone know anything about this software . Mini discs are old hat these days but I think they are really neat Speciall when I use em in me car with me radio transmitter thingy . Cool . :cool:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Yes, I know plenty about that Sony software, it's absolute bloody rubbish :mad:

My mate must have the same software as you, I spent hours trying to recover his system and make things work.

Same things goes for latest Sony Walkman mp3 player software, absolute tosh.

Sony were once good, now they install rootkits and trojans onto your computer from audio CD's. They also leave Europe last for issue of PSP3. I don't like Sony anymore, sorry.

To leave both speakers and mini disc players connected, get a 'Y' 3.5mm stereo jack splitter or buy a switching box. Look up CPC/Farnell maybe Maplins, you should find something.

I'm assuming you're managing to record ok then? I hope so, gotta have some holiday tunes :)

I notice you've called me foppybootstomp.

I'm not related to Quentin Crisp, Oscar Wilde or Freddie Mercury. Honest ;)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Back to typing lessonsfor me then .

Was thinking more along the lines of recording Elvis for me sister and listening to Franz Ferdinand . Elvis is ok but only in small doses . :D

Used awire cablre . ok . Then I pluged in the digital cable and it offered to do a sync recording so Ijust let it do its own thing .
I'll work it all out properly when I get back of me holls . :cool:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Hmm, gotta agree on Elvis & Franz Ferdinand. Hearing Jailhouse Rock once every six months or so can be good ;) But not every day, no.

As long as the stuff's doing what you want it to do, all is Good :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Its not perfect but it will have to do . Sync worked but nevereput any track marks in . Course if someone hadn'tsent me loads of goodies I wouldn't have been sidetracked and I'd have had loads of time to sort the job properly . Mind you if I wasn't such a big child I'd have opened me parcels when I got back .
laughingsmiley.gif

Ask a Question