PC is REALLY slow when no programs are running

Reaction score
When I have nothing open (no programs) I check my memory usage in my task manager and it says that I'm using 350MB of RAM!!!

Is there anyway to get that down without doing some kind of surgery to my Task Manager List.

Any suggestions will be given serious thought.

Reaction score
in task manager if you click processes you should be able to see which app is using the memory.

Reaction score
Heya i am am having the same issue on my mum's computer ... it runs applications so SLOOOOW !!! lol

I go on task manager but i don't know which process to stop as i don't want to ruin the pc lol Can you help me on this issue please !!! :) lol

Might have to buy more RAM for it :(

Atm it's saying 495MB PF Usage !!!!!!!

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
mojouk how much RAM do you have ? is explorer using alot of CPU power ?

im using around 450 MB out of 1GB of RAM with CPU usage at 60% ( running cancer research program) and my PC is fine.

belloni how much RAM ? my PF usage is at 385 MB

Reaction score
192MB RAM PC3200 lol LAME !!!

How do i know what processors to stop on the task manager coz i don't want to ruin nothing ... lol

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
go through the list and anything your not sure on google it and you can usually find out what it is

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
in my list i have "acroRd32.exe" i know that this is acrobat reader because im using it, but if you type in google "acroRd32.exe ?" theres usually a site that says what the file is

Reaction score
Hi, I'm the one that originally posted this message.

My CPU usage is running at 6%, PF usage is 387MB.

Processes include (approx): svchost.exe: 32,000K, java.exe 18,000K, ccApp.exe 17,000K, explorer.exe 17,000K,rst.exe 12,000K, BigFix.exe 11,000K, Smc.exe 9,000K, ALCWZRD.exe 7,000K, Isass.exe 6,000K, Smc.exe 8,000K

As well as the above I have about 40 other processes on the list that use from 1,000K to 6,000K.

I just wanted to know if this was normal? Do other peoples PC's run about 52 processes when nothings open?

I have 1.5GB of RAM and a 3.2GHz processor, but I do alot of graphics and my computers PF usage sometimes goes up to 2GB when I'm using my programs.

Do you think if I get another 512MB Ram it will improve things significantly??

Cheers for all the feedback!!

Reaction score
I don't think so increasing your RAM to 1.5 GB will give you some more. However I will suggest you to try killing some of the applications Like ,rst.exe, BigFix.exe. They sound bit odd to me but it could be legitimate program in your computer so don't kill if you think they are all right. Now a days a major problem is spyware etc. Did you try scanning your computer by using any anti spyware and anti virus programs. I hope they will help you.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i have 54 processes running so it seems about normal, getting more RAM will not make any difference to the speed you already have more than enough. have you defragmented recently ?

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
I have about 22 process running (turned off AVG)
1 Gig is normally good enough for most computers,
you say that you do alot of graphic work? then having a 2 Gigs of Ram is usually a good choice.
but if your talking computer games graphics card.
is suggest defragmenting too. also you sould scan for Viruses, spyware, and adware... just to safe

Reaction score
My Mum's pc has 35 atm lol That's ok i reckon ... tomoz i will do some researching on what one's to cancel and what not ! lol

Reaction score
Hi.

I think I will get a bit more RAM to make it 2GB. But I also think that although I have a fast CPU and alot of RAM, my graphics card is a major problem.

It's only a Radeon X300SE 128MB. And sometimes when I'm using a program like Photoshop the screen freezes and I get an hour glass, it takes about a minute for it to start up again.

I'm not a gamer, I use the PC for 3D CAD work mostly.

I also tend to work on a couple of programs at the same time whichI think is a bit much for my poor old PC :-(

Reaction score
mojouk said:
Hi.

I think I will get a bit more RAM to make it 2GB. But I also think that although I have a fast CPU and alot of RAM, my graphics card is a major problem.

It's only a Radeon X300SE 128MB. And sometimes when I'm using a program like Photoshop the screen freezes and I get an hour glass, it takes about a minute for it to start up again.

I'm not a gamer, I use the PC for 3D CAD work mostly.

I also tend to work on a couple of programs at the same time whichI think is a bit much for my poor old PC :-(

Im gonna say that your graphics card is a issue.. If it takes you that long to load photshop its a problem it wouldnt hurt for you to upgrade. If your real big into the graphics you mention then i would get a 6800. or maybe ever a ultra depends on how deep your pockets go. i have a 6600gt going for sli this month i think its a good choice but i reckon you dont have a sli mobo so thats not in your mind. Also i would agree with other memebrs that 2gigs is recommended for editing purposes. I hope we are helping you out.. im running 39 processes with trillian steam and a bunch off odd ball things and memory is 303m/2459m :D

Reaction score
Hi CSUnited14,

I am lucky enough to have a PCI-E motherboard ( I only wish there were 2 PCI-E slots), so I was thinking of getting a 6600GT.

I bought my PC off the shelf at Dixons, but I think I got an OK buy:

Pentium 4 3.2GHz (1MB L2 Cache)
512MB RAM
200GB SATA Hard Drive
128MB PCI-E ATI Radeon X33SE
DVD-RW/CD-RW

for £679

I then upgraded the memory and added two sticks of GEIL 512MB RAM to make it 1.5GB RAM. I will definitely be adding another 512MB, the limit of my mobo is 2GB unfortunately.

Also, I have found out that the integrated graphics on my motherboard is not being used, because of a problem the manufacturers had with it, so the manufacturer added the Radeon X300SE to the PCI-E slot.

But I'm still a bit nervous about removing it and adding a 6600gt.

Could you tell me how to do it safely? I am Ok with adding RAM and extra hard drives, etc, but the graphics card is a bit beyond my experience.

Don't you have to completely wipe off all graphics card drivers?? Before installing a new one?

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
the X300 isnt a very good card by my reckoning, i suggest getting a base 6800 or X800 pro.

Reaction score
yea i would agree with alf 6800's are betetr then the 6600gts there only good in sli but if your pockets arnt deep like i previously said go for the 6600gt. and regards of installing the graphics card its pretty easy depending on the sapce your working in. pci-e cards are some of the easiest i must say. its just like installing memory just a bigger electronic.

Just when you do install it make sure your not making static electricty. touch your inside case a few times with both hands to make sure your not staticing. Well good luck and let me know what your gonna do.

Ask a Question