PC boot disconnects shared internet router

Discussion in 'Security Networking' started by PaulV, Sep 23, 2009.

  1. PaulV

    PaulV Guest

    Hello.

    We have a network that incorporates a Micronet ADSL2 4 port router for
    internet access and 23 PCs running a mixture of XP Pro, XP Home, 2000 and
    Win98. Mostly the network is used for internal (intranet) use however 6
    users often use the internet.

    A problem has recently reared its ugly head for which I have been unable to
    find a solution.

    I believe it’s the XP Pro machines that cause this but I cannot be sure
    that’s it’s exclusive to them, while booting the internet is disconnected for
    a couple of minutes although the intranet is unaffected. Once the PC has
    booted connection is restored.

    It appears that the booting PC is blocking all traffic to/from the router
    during boot which can lead to serious problems for the other internet users
    should a financial transaction be taking place at the time.

    This problem has only appeared in the last few weeks and it is duplicated at
    home where the same problem has recently cropped up. My son and I share a
    Dynamode ADSL 4 port router directly connected to 2 PCs and a print server.

    My thinking is that a recent security update could be the cause of this
    behaviour however I am currently unable to find a solution. Has anyone else
    experienced similar problems or know of a solution?

    Thanks in advance

    PaulV

    PaulV, Sep 23, 2009

  2. PaulV

    1PW Guest

    PaulV wrote:
    > Hello.
    >
    > We have a network that incorporates a Micronet ADSL2 4 port router for
    > internet access and 23 PCs running a mixture of XP Pro, XP Home, 2000 and
    > Win98. Mostly the network is used for internal (intranet) use however 6
    > users often use the internet.
    >
    > A problem has recently reared its ugly head for which I have been unable to
    > find a solution.
    >
    > I believe it’s the XP Pro machines that cause this but I cannot be sure
    > that’s it’s exclusive to them, while booting the internet is disconnected for
    > a couple of minutes although the intranet is unaffected. Once the PC has
    > booted connection is restored.
    >
    > It appears that the booting PC is blocking all traffic to/from the router
    > during boot which can lead to serious problems for the other internet users
    > should a financial transaction be taking place at the time.
    >
    > This problem has only appeared in the last few weeks and it is duplicated at
    > home where the same problem has recently cropped up. My son and I share a
    > Dynamode ADSL 4 port router directly connected to 2 PCs and a print server.
    >
    > My thinking is that a recent security update could be the cause of this
    > behaviour however I am currently unable to find a solution. Has anyone else
    > experienced similar problems or know of a solution?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > PaulV

    *multiposted*

    Hello Paul:

    Unless you suspect network malware or spyware is the root of the
    trouble, I would strongly suggest you may have posted to a group that
    sees very little life these days.

    I have reposted your experience to:

    "microsoft.public.windowsxp.general"

    Additional helpful information would be what "Service Pack" level the
    XP Pro systems are at.

    Best wishes,

    --
    1PW

    1PW, Sep 23, 2009
  3. PaulV

    PaulV Guest

    All our PCs are installed with real-time spyware/malware checkers and are
    scanned regularly just in case anything has slipped through. The XP machines
    are on SP2. We did begin installing SP3 but after installing on 3 machines
    we began discovering some 'features' that we could not live with so it was
    uninstalled from those machines.

    Thanks

    Paul

    PaulV, Oct 5, 2009
  4. Hi Paul,

    FYI

    After 12 April 2010, XP SP2 your computer will NOT be offered ANY critical
    security updates nor will Windows Update website be available until & unless
    you get XP SP3 installed.
    -=-

    Ǝиçεl
    ◕‿◕