Windows Vista password problems

Reaction score
hiya i am a complete pleb...changed my start up screen password and now the computer will not let me in at all. On the start up screen it shows the correct hint, but when i type in the password it says user name and and password not correct. My life is on this computer so please help. Its and Acer aspire 3680, operating vista home

Reaction score
it was all in lower case. have always had problems with vista not recognising passwords or locking me out then it suddenly lets me in

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If you've always had problems with being locked out, then something doesn't sound quite right - and you could have a virus or some other nasty (if you genuinely entered it correctly).

You can't reset your password if you've forgotten it, and don't have a password reset disk. Your only option is to buy some password recovery software for Vista, or to install Vista again (which would remove all your settings, data, e-mails, documents etc... as it's on a recovery partition).

Personally, I'd give it another day of trying password variations that you could have used before resorting to something more drastic.

In future, I'd make a password reset disk :thumb:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/5bf12a40-12b5-4ca8-87c3-7741adbd15841033.mspx

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
You can't reset your password if you've forgotten it, and don't have a password reset disk.

If the person is the genuine owner of the Laptop/Computer and has the Vista CD there is a way to change/reset the password without having to buy any software...Although i'm not to sure if I should be posting this...Mods Admin can delete if they feel I am out of line here..

Ask a Question