    I'm locked out of my own laptop. I set my XP password. When I restarted my
    laptop, it wouldn't accept the password that I set a moment earlier. What
    can I do?

    Guest, Apr 25, 2007

    Malke Guest

    nycjohn wrote:
    > HELP
    > I'm locked out of my own laptop. I set my XP password. When I restarted my
    > laptop, it wouldn't accept the password that I set a moment earlier. What
    > can I do?

    If you have forgotten your password, if you have another user account
    with administrative privileges you can log into that account and change
    your original user account's password from the User Accounts applet in
    Control Panel. If you don't have another account like this set up or
    don't have the password to it, you'll need to log into the built-in
    Administrator account. In XP Home, boot the computer into Safe Mode. Do
    this by repeatedly tapping the F8 key as the computer is starting up.
    This will get you to the right menu. Navigate using your Up arrow key;
    the mouse will not work here. Once in Safe Mode, you will see the
    normally hidden Administrator account. The default password is a blank.

    In XP Pro, you do not need to go into Safe Mode. At the Welcome Screen,
    do Ctrl-Alt-Del twice to get the classic Windows logon box. Type in
    "Administrator" and whatever password you assigned when you set up Windows.

    If you reset the built-in Administrator account's password in Home or
    have Pro and don't remember the password, use NTpasswd to change the
    built-in Administrator account's password to a blank.

    Then go to the User Accounts applet in Control Panel and set passwords
    that you will remember and make other desired changes.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com