password not accepted at login but is correct

Reaction score
I put my laptop to sleep and when logged in again my password is not accepted. I have not changed it and I know it is correct. I have a toshiba laptop running vista with norton as security. I recently download some files for a free visual studio express edition but did not open any of the files.

Seems like I will have to start all over again with installing the operating system but would like to know how this could possibly have happened.

Thanks

Tony

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Hi Tony and welcome to the Forum.

If you have a problem kindly just start the one thread as posting the same problem twice can lead to confusion with information flowing across two locations. I have deleted the other thread.

As for your problem, the most likely culprit seems to be the free software you've downloaded, regardless of whether you opened any files or not.

Other guys here are more experienced in this field than myself so I'll hope one of them will have a solution for you.

I would suggest giving more information on this free visual studio express software.

And if you do carry out a fresh install, consider ditching Nortons as the words 'Nortons' and 'Security' in the same sentence are something of an oxymoron.

Well, ok, not entirely true but it's a resource hog and it is a bit rubbish.

Reaction score
The download came from microsoft's website so the software should be legit.

Is there a maximum number of login attempts in Vista ?

Thanks

Reaction score
May I make a suggestion?

Dont put computers to sleep. I have seen a multitude of problems caused by this. Your best bet is to just shut down. It seems some laptops and PC's cannot correctly retrieve the information stored within the memory for it to correctly return to an active desktop screen again. Hibernation really does muck things up a bit mate dont use it!

Hmm yes Norton GET SHUT ;)

Something may have been corrupted to a point, not sure what though could be one of many!

Will it not allow anything at all? Not even safe mode?

Ask a Question