    I hope this is the correct forum to ask this question. When is it advisable to partition a hard drive? Where can I find specific instructions to follow should I wish to do this?
    Thanks for any help on this issue.
    Gene L.

    Gene L., Nov 3, 2009

  2. Gene L.

    LVTravel Guest

    "Gene L." <> wrote in message
    news:...
    I hope this is the correct forum to ask this question. When is it advisable
    to partition a hard drive? Where can I find specific instructions to follow
    should I wish to do this?
    Thanks for any help on this issue.
    Gene L.

    Partitioning of a hard drive is advisable if it meets your current and/or
    future needs. Some do it when they have one hard drive in order to keep
    data files separate from operating system (OS) and the installed programs.
    Some do it to separate the OS and the installed programs from each other in
    the mistaken theory that if they have to reinstall the OS they won't have to
    install the programs again. Some do it to keep different data types
    separated (videos, pictures, documents, etc.)

    Now as to how, Google is your friend. Search for partitioning of a hard
    drive and include your OS in the search field as different OSs have
    different methods of creating a partition on a new hard drive.

    Also, for future reference, please post only in text, not HTML format. Many
    of the newsgroups do not like, and won't properly display as HTML (even
    though this one does.)

    LVTravel, Nov 3, 2009

  3. Gene L.

    Dave Guest

    when you want to boot with another operating system,
    when you want to keep data separate from the system files,
    etc.
    http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/95398-disk-management-shrink-partition.html

    --
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

    Dave, Nov 3, 2009
  4. Gene L.

    Gene L. Guest

    Dave:
    Sorry to persist but why would one wish to keep data separate from the
    system files? I really appreciate your time in preparing this reply. Am I
    naive in this situation?
    Thanks.
    Gene

    Gene L., Nov 3, 2009
  5. Gene L.

    Gene L. Guest

    Thank you for your detailed answer. I am afraid that I have much to learn.
    Your reply has given me a good place to start. Regards,
    Gene L

    Gene L., Nov 3, 2009
  6. If you keep your data on a separate partition you can, with the right type
    of software, create an image of the system partition only - and then restore
    the system partition in case of problems - without losing your data.

    --

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP

    Richard Urban, Nov 3, 2009
  7. Gene L.

    DL Guest

    Data on a seperate partition, in the past, sometimes made it easier /
    simpler to backup only the data - not realy relevent now

    DL, Nov 3, 2009
  8. Gene L.

    Gene L. Guest

    I thank each one of you for taking the time to help me. I think I see the
    need now and really appreciate your expertise. Regards.
    Gene L.

    Gene L., Nov 3, 2009