Paperless faxing - prices dropping?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Loony, Apr 1, 2012.

  1. Loony

    Loony Guest

    Hello Experts :)

    I have been looking for a paperless fax machine, to replace the garbage
    like ImpactColor something or other.

    The prices seem to be dropping quickly.

    Here are recent links :

    Free shipping New Arrival Vason mini usb digital fax FX1000 by EMS

    http://www.aliexpress.com/product-f...sb-digital-fax-FX1000-by-EMS-wholesalers.html

    Price:
    US $106.00 / piece (1 - 5 pieces)

    and

    Paperless Portable USB 2.0 Digital Fax Machine
    SKU: A18470000A

    http://www.dinodirect.com/digital-fax-machine-usb-paperless.html?cur=EUR

    with a price of Price: €46.09

    Comments please :)

    TIA

    Loony, Apr 1, 2012

  2. Loony wrote:
    > Hello Experts :)
    >
    > I have been looking for a paperless fax machine, to replace the garbage
    > like ImpactColor something or other.
    >
    > The prices seem to be dropping quickly.
    > Here are recent links :
    > Free shipping New Arrival Vason mini usb digital fax FX1000 by EMS
    > http://www.aliexpress.com/product-f...sb-digital-fax-FX1000-by-EMS-wholesalers.html
    > Price: US $106.00 / piece (1 - 5 pieces)
    > and
    > Paperless Portable USB 2.0 Digital Fax Machine SKU: A18470000A
    > http://www.dinodirect.com/digital-fax-machine-usb-paperless.html?cur=EUR
    > with a price of Price: €46.09
    >
    > Comments please :)
    > TIA

    Why not just use your computer instead?
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Receive-a-fax-with-Windows-Fax-and-Scan
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Send-a-fax-with-Windows-Fax-and-Scan

    Paul in Houston TX, Apr 1, 2012

  3. Loony

    Paul Guest

    Loony wrote:
    > Hello Experts :)
    >
    > I have been looking for a paperless fax machine, to replace the garbage
    > like ImpactColor something or other.
    >
    > The prices seem to be dropping quickly.
    >
    > Here are recent links :
    >
    > Free shipping New Arrival Vason mini usb digital fax FX1000 by EMS
    >
    > http://www.aliexpress.com/product-f...sb-digital-fax-FX1000-by-EMS-wholesalers.html
    >

    > Price:
    > US $106.00 / piece (1 - 5 pieces)
    >
    > and
    >
    > Paperless Portable USB 2.0 Digital Fax Machine
    > SKU: A18470000A
    >
    > http://www.dinodirect.com/digital-fax-machine-usb-paperless.html?cur=EUR
    >
    > with a price of Price: €46.09
    >

    > Comments please :)
    >
    > TIA

    Direct ship from China, with absolutely no tech support!

    Perfect for a guy like you, with money to waste...

    Try again.

    I don't buy unless there is:

    1) Website with drivers, application software, *USER MANUAL*

    2) Reviews from Newegg or Amazon or even Ebay for that matter. Someone
    else has to buy one, before I will. And that person has to
    demonstrate actual product knowledge (to avoid shill postings).

    The thing is, hardware is useless without software. No matter how
    pretty that box looks, it's a hood ornament without software. And
    if the software sucks, you'll be screwed out of your $106.00 USD.

    Paul

    Paul, Apr 1, 2012
  4. Loony

    John McGaw Guest

    On 4/1/2012 1:39 PM, Loony wrote:
    > Hello Experts :)
    >
    > I have been looking for a paperless fax machine, to replace the garbage
    > like ImpactColor something or other.
    >
    > The prices seem to be dropping quickly.

    snip...

    Somebody still uses fax?

    John McGaw, Apr 1, 2012
  5. On 4/1/2012 2:49 PM, John McGaw wrote:
    > On 4/1/2012 1:39 PM, Loony wrote:
    >> Hello Experts :)
    >>
    >> I have been looking for a paperless fax machine, to replace the garbage
    >> like ImpactColor something or other.
    >>
    >> The prices seem to be dropping quickly.
    >>

    > snip...
    >
    > Somebody still uses fax?

    What is a "paperless fax"; unless it might describe image file transmission?

    --
    Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

    Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

    James Silverton, Apr 1, 2012
  6. Loony

    Loony Guest

    On 01/04/2012 19:33, Paul wrote:
    > Loony wrote:
    >> Hello Experts :)
    >>
    >> I have been looking for a paperless fax machine, to replace the garbage
    >> like ImpactColor something or other.
    >>
    >> The prices seem to be dropping quickly.
    >>
    >> Here are recent links :
    >>
    >> Free shipping New Arrival Vason mini usb digital fax FX1000 by EMS
    >>
    >> http://www.aliexpress.com/product-f...sb-digital-fax-FX1000-by-EMS-wholesalers.html
    >>

    >> Price:
    >> US $106.00 / piece (1 - 5 pieces)
    >>
    >> and
    >>
    >> Paperless Portable USB 2.0 Digital Fax Machine
    >> SKU: A18470000A
    >>
    >> http://www.dinodirect.com/digital-fax-machine-usb-paperless.html?cur=EUR
    >>
    >> with a price of Price: €46.09
    >>

    >> Comments please :)
    >>
    >> TIA

    > Direct ship from China, with absolutely no tech support!
    >
    > Perfect for a guy like you, with money to waste...
    >
    > Try again.
    >
    > I don't buy unless there is:
    >
    > 1) Website with drivers, application software, *USER MANUAL*
    >
    > 2) Reviews from Newegg or Amazon or even Ebay for that matter. Someone
    > else has to buy one, before I will. And that person has to
    > demonstrate actual product knowledge (to avoid shill postings).
    >
    > The thing is, hardware is useless without software. No matter how
    > pretty that box looks, it's a hood ornament without software. And
    > if the software sucks, you'll be screwed out of your $106.00 USD.
    >
    > Paul

    Thank you Paul.

    As usual you are always on the ball :)

    About a year ago I bought a Zoom modem with a CD and both came directly
    from China via some other group outside China. It is working very well.

    I know that there can be lots of rackets and we can't be too careful.

    However my fax systems are a total pain in the rump and I hate having to
    muck around with them every time I try to use them. I am looking for
    something in the calibre of Symantec WinFax Pro. It was a dream to use.

    The upper link:
    http://www.dinodirect.com/digital-fax-machine-usb-paperless.html?cur=EUR

    has a price of €46.09.

    Thanks for your interest and Enjoy the holidays :)

    Loony, Apr 1, 2012
  7. On 2012-04-01 2:59 PM, James Silverton wrote:
    > On 4/1/2012 2:49 PM, John McGaw wrote:
    >> On 4/1/2012 1:39 PM, Loony wrote:
    >>> Hello Experts :)
    >>>
    >>> I have been looking for a paperless fax machine, to replace the garbage
    >>> like ImpactColor something or other.
    >>>
    >>> The prices seem to be dropping quickly.
    >>>

    >> snip...
    >>
    >> Somebody still uses fax?

    > What is a "paperless fax"; unless it might describe image file
    > transmission?

    Thinking of efax.com for doing faxes through email.

    --
    [Robert]

    Robert Sudbury, Apr 1, 2012
  8. On 4/1/2012 2:59 PM, James Silverton wrote:
    > On 4/1/2012 2:49 PM, John McGaw wrote:
    >> On 4/1/2012 1:39 PM, Loony wrote:
    >>> Hello Experts :)
    >>>
    >>> I have been looking for a paperless fax machine, to replace the garbage
    >>> like ImpactColor something or other.
    >>>
    >>> The prices seem to be dropping quickly.
    >>>

    >> snip...
    >>
    >> Somebody still uses fax?

    > What is a "paperless fax"; unless it might describe image file
    > transmission?

    May I add that my HP Scanjet, using the HP Solution Center software,
    will scan a document and automatically send it as a file attached to an
    e-mail. I suspect this must be as reliable as a fax.

    --
    Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

    Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

    James Silverton, Apr 1, 2012
  9. On 04/01/12 13:39, Loony wrote:
    > Hello Experts :)
    >
    > I have been looking for a paperless fax machine, to replace the garbage
    > like ImpactColor something or other.
    >
    > Comments please :)

    Had been around for a long time, it's called E-Mail, and the best ones
    are FREE !!!!!!

    Vic RR Garcia, Apr 1, 2012
  10. On 4/1/2012 3:09 PM, Robert Sudbury wrote:
    > On 2012-04-01 2:59 PM, James Silverton wrote:

    >>> snip...
    >>>
    >>> Somebody still uses fax?

    >> What is a "paperless fax"; unless it might describe image file
    >> transmission?
    >>

    > Thinking of efax.com for doing faxes through email.

    The method employed by efax was available to me more than 20 years ago
    but in those days my employer (the US Government) paid for the faxes. I
    know that some physician's offices and banks still seen enamored of fax
    machines but what's wrong with an attached file, especially since unlike
    efax, there is no cost involved? If security is a problem the e-mail
    could be digitally signed.

    --
    Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

    Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

    James Silverton, Apr 1, 2012
  11. Loony

    Paul Guest

    James Silverton wrote:
    > On 4/1/2012 2:59 PM, James Silverton wrote:

    >>> snip...
    >>>
    >>> Somebody still uses fax?

    >> What is a "paperless fax"; unless it might describe image file
    >> transmission?
    >>

    > May I add that my HP Scanjet, using the HP Solution Center software,
    > will scan a document and automatically send it as a file attached to an
    > e-mail. I suspect this must be as reliable as a fax.

    The little box is effectively a fax server, but for one computer.
    It has a USB interface, and enough memory inside the box for 2000 fax
    pages.

    You'd leave the box running at night, with computer off, to receive
    faxes (or send faxes) from memory. When the user eventually logs into
    the box (via USB) the next day, they use the bundled software to
    skim through the faxes received that night, to see if anything is worth
    printing off or keeping as a TIFF image. That sort of thing.

    The Mopier machines (print, scan, copy, fax) come with a memory function
    as well, and can perform the same fax server function. The difference would
    be, the Mopier uses the "razor blade sales model", meaning the machine
    is sold below cost, and relies on inkjet cartridge sales to make
    a profit. It is in the Mopier machine's best interest, to print
    every fax it receives. So when they provide a memory function
    in the Mopier, it's to hold faxes until you load paper in the
    tray. With some effort, you can probably preview the faxes
    stored in memory, before printing them. But it isn't in the
    Mopier manufacturer's best interest to make that easy to do.
    They want you to forget, and run off a tray of paper instead
    by accident.

    Inkjet manufacturers all have scams. Like the inkjet that
    frequently cleans the heads if you leave it powered, until
    it runs the tank dry :) The manufacturer explains, that's
    to keep the head clean :)

    Whereas the small dedicated box, isn't sold on the razor blade model.
    It doesn't have scan, copy, or print. And the remaining function,
    of handling faxes via it's memory, is the only function it's got.
    So from a user perspective, not as potentially wasteful.

    Paul

    Paul, Apr 1, 2012
  12. Loony

    - Bobb - Guest

    Just had my nephew ask me about these. He wondered WHY specs showed that it
    needed a direct internet connection. I replied and will post here as an FYI:

    With an e-printer you can be in a coffee shop and print the file to your
    home printer. So it acts like a server - to get that file to print it needs
    to have a direct internet connection. It's not 'wireless in the house
    printer acting as a slave printer off a pc'. Theoretically, you could have
    no pc in the house and the printer would print.
    The printer itself gets an email address assigned to it when you register
    with HP.
    To print, you email the document to that email address - from anywhere. If
    powered off, when the printer turns on - it fetches its email - just like
    your pc works with your email.
    Kinda like a fax machine using email rather than telephone system - no cost
    to user to use it AND you only get printouts/email (theoretically) from
    people that know you - no faxes received from robodialers.

    https://h30495.www3.hp.com/help#eprint.ep-eprint-work

    Not worth paying extra for at home but HP might be bundling in its new
    printers and charging a few bucks extra. ( Like making CD players standard
    in all cars and adding $30 to price of all cars rather than a $175 option
    for some.)

    I'm not sure if there is/will be a charge to use it. In a few years, I can't
    imagine HP assigning 100 million emails address, the disk space to store the
    files, the responsibility of backing up the disks etc - for free.
    ============

    - Bobb -, Apr 1, 2012
  13. Loony

    Sjouke Burry Guest

    John McGaw <> wrote in news:qr1er.116534$xU2.114617@en-
    nntp-08.dc1.easynews.com:

    > On 4/1/2012 1:39 PM, Loony wrote:
    >> Hello Experts :)
    >>
    >> I have been looking for a paperless fax machine, to replace the

    garbage
    >> like ImpactColor something or other.
    >>
    >> The prices seem to be dropping quickly.
    >>

    > snip...
    >
    > Somebody still uses fax?

    My neighbour has a gas station, and gets the daily fuel price list
    by fax.
    He could use his computer/modem to recieve them, but he prefers paper.
    Also some legal correspondence needs a paper trail.
    Email is fine, but too easely forged.

    Sjouke Burry, Apr 2, 2012
  14. Loony

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In the last episode of
    <XnsA0291EC35A419sjoukeburrysoesterbe@213.75.12.10>, Sjouke Burry <s@b>
    said:

    >Email is fine, but too easely forged.

    So is paper. It's a heck of a lot easier to forge paper than email
    stored on a third party's mail server (especially in terms of rewriting
    history since you can't re-write logs)

    The difference is that email can include digital signatures and other
    electronic audit trails that can be made to be difficult to forge (or
    would at least require a third party's participation to forge)

    --
    This signature was randomly selected

    DevilsPGD, Apr 2, 2012
  15. On Mon, 02 Apr 2012 11:36:49 -0700, DevilsPGD
    <> wrote:

    >In the last episode of
    ><XnsA0291EC35A419sjoukeburrysoesterbe@213.75.12.10>, Sjouke Burry <s@b>
    >said:
    >
    >>Email is fine, but too easely forged.

    >So is paper. It's a heck of a lot easier to forge paper than email
    >stored on a third party's mail server (especially in terms of rewriting
    >history since you can't re-write logs)
    >
    >The difference is that email can include digital signatures and other
    >electronic audit trails that can be made to be difficult to forge (or
    >would at least require a third party's participation to forge)

    There are protections on paper mail as well. Watermarked paper,
    seals, etc.

    Sincerely,

    Gene Wirchenko

    Gene Wirchenko, Apr 2, 2012
  16. Loony

    Anssi Saari Guest

    John McGaw <> writes:

    > Somebody still uses fax?

    Surprisingly I found myself sending two last year. In both cases it was
    less work than sending out paper mail. No idea if these people would've
    accepted scanned pdfs via email, might be too radical.

    Anssi Saari, Apr 4, 2012
  17. Loony

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In the last episode of <>,
    Anthony Buckland <> said:

    >On 03/04/2012 9:56 PM, Anssi Saari wrote:
    >> John McGaw<> writes:
    >>
    >>> Somebody still uses fax?

    >> Surprisingly I found myself sending two last year. In both cases it was
    >> less work than sending out paper mail. No idea if these people would've
    >> accepted scanned pdfs via email, might be too radical.

    >A fax is identified as to source, may contain a signature,
    >and can be immediately stored away as paper, whatever the
    >dubiousness of its source, in the files of the recipient
    >with no intermediate steps subject to any interference.
    >Like things you shouldn't have said, and pictures you
    >shouldn't have posted, it's forever there, assuming the
    >recipient has secure storage procedures.

    All of which goes for email.

    --
    This signature was randomly selected

    DevilsPGD, Apr 5, 2012
  18. Loony

    Char Jackson Guest

    On Wed, 04 Apr 2012 11:22:55 -0700, Anthony Buckland
    <> wrote:

    >On 03/04/2012 9:56 PM, Anssi Saari wrote:
    >> John McGaw<> writes:
    >>
    >>> Somebody still uses fax?

    >> Surprisingly I found myself sending two last year. In both cases it was
    >> less work than sending out paper mail. No idea if these people would've
    >> accepted scanned pdfs via email, might be too radical.

    >A fax is identified as to source,

    Easily spoofed.

    >may contain a signature,

    Easily forged/faked.

    >and can be immediately stored away as paper,

    Only because the fax machine automatically printed it. Many email
    clients can be configured to automatically print emails that meet
    specific criteria, thus erasing that difference, as well.

    Bottom line, fax should be a historical footnote by now, but a few
    segments of the economy stubbornly hang onto it, such as the financial
    segment, the legal segment, and certain parts of the government
    segment.

    --

    Char Jackson

    Char Jackson, Apr 5, 2012