    a gig of hard drive space.

    Thanks,

    Mark

    Mark McWilliams, Jan 21, 2004

  2. "If you do put the file elsewhere, you should leave a small
    amount on C: - an initial size of 2MB with a Maximum
    of 50 is suitable - so it can be used in emergency. Without
    this, the system is inclined to ignore the settings and either
    have no page file at all (and complain) or make a very large
    one indeed on C:"

    Ref: http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Alex Nichol]

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect your PC!

    Carey Frisch [MVP], Jan 21, 2004

  3. Mark McWilliams

    Bob Harris Guest

    Never, never try to delete special files like pagefile.sys by a simple
    windows explorer file delete command. As you have seen, it will not work.
    Instead, use the MyComputer, properties, advanced settings, performance,
    advanced, virtual memory. Then, set the desired file size on C:\ to a small
    number, or even zero. Close each windows you opened with "apply" or "ok" as
    appropriate. Then, reboot. During the reboot the new pagefile size should
    take effect.

    Bob Harris, Jan 21, 2004
  4. Bob and Carey,

    I don't believe that either one of your responses answers my question.
    I have setup the pagefile.sys on my F hard drive and set the C drive to no
    paging file by going into MyComputer, properties, advanced settings,
    performance, advanced, virtual memory. I now have two pagefile.sys files.
    One on my C drive and the other on the F drive. I'm simply trying to delete
    the pagefile.sys on my C drive to free up about a gig of hard drive space.
    Please let me know how I can do this.

    Thanks,

    Mark

    Mark McWilliams, Jan 22, 2004
  5. Mark McWilliams

    Tegger® Guest

    "Mark McWilliams" <> spake unto the masses in

    > Bob and Carey,
    >
    > I don't believe that either one of your responses answers my
    > question.
    > I have setup the pagefile.sys on my F hard drive and set the C drive
    > to no paging file by going into MyComputer, properties, advanced
    > settings, performance, advanced, virtual memory. I now have two
    > pagefile.sys files. One on my C drive and the other on the F drive.
    > I'm simply trying to delete the pagefile.sys on my C drive to free up
    > about a gig of hard drive space. Please let me know how I can do this.

    When you make your changes to Virtual Memeory, you must click the "Set"
    button before clicking "OK". Are you doing this for each change you make
    (including "No Page File")?

    --
    TeGGeR®

    Tegger®, Jan 22, 2004
  6. "Tegger®" <> wrote in message
    > "Mark McWilliams" <> spake unto the masses in
    >
    > > Bob and Carey,
    > >
    > > I don't believe that either one of your responses answers my
    > > question.
    > > I have setup the pagefile.sys on my F hard drive and set the C drive
    > > to no paging file by going into MyComputer, properties, advanced
    > > settings, performance, advanced, virtual memory. I now have two
    > > pagefile.sys files. One on my C drive and the other on the F drive.
    > > I'm simply trying to delete the pagefile.sys on my C drive to free up
    > > about a gig of hard drive space. Please let me know how I can do this.

    > When you make your changes to Virtual Memeory, you must click the "Set"
    > button before clicking "OK". Are you doing this for each change you make
    > (including "No Page File")?
    >
    > --
    > TeGGeR®

    Tegger,

    I had hit the Set and I did it again to make sure and it didn't say
    anything about rebooting my PC. I went ahead and rebooted it anyway and I'm
    still not able to delete the pagefile.sys from my C drive. I started doing
    some experimenting. I was able to delete the pagefile.sys from my F
    drive????? I then went back into my Virtual memory settings and clicked Set
    for the settings on my C and F drive and it asked me to reboot. After the
    boot I still don't have a pagefile.sys on my F drive. What is going on with
    my computer?

    Mark

    Mark McWilliams, Jan 22, 2004