Outlook Outlook Sending Problems error (0x80042109)

Reaction score
My MS Outlook 2007 was working fine until 10 March, from which date I have had the intermitttent problem of regular sending failures with error code (0x80042109) "cannot connect to smtp server". Receiving emails is fine. I have tried all the recommended things, e.g. disabling firewall and anti-virus software, resetting email settings, changing smtp port number, running diagnostics, contacting my ISP (who insist it is a Microsoft problem) and Microsoft (no response from them) and have read widely on the internet all to no avail. Can anyone help with this? I am running Windows Vista Home Edition. The problem is becoming very frustrating.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestions but I have already tried virtually everything on the Microsoft page except I could not open Outlook in safe mode, though. I also created a new email account with the correct account settings. Problem still persists.

Ask a Question