Outlook OUTLOOK: Locate Link Browser

Reaction score
Hi
Am new to this so i apologies if its been bought up before or if i have posted it in the wrong place.

I have recently set up my g mail account to work through MS outlook 2002. It works fine except for when i click on a link to a website.
Most of the time, instead of opening Internet Explorer (version 6) and the website, it opens a "locate link browser" box.
I have tried to rectify it as recommended by Microsoft - see http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=821692 - to no avail.
I have also tried:

Go to control panel, folder options, file types tab. Scroll down to the "(NONE) URL:Hypertext Transfer Protocols" ... click advanced ... click edit and make sure the following is in the application used to perform action box: ”C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\iexplore.exe” -nohome
The same applies for URL:Gopher
DDE should be set to: “%1”,,-1,0,,,,
Application should say: IExplore
DDE application not running should be blank
Topic should be: WWW_OpenURL
Run each following line individually... Start – Run then type
regsvr32 Urlmon.dll
regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 Shell32.dll
regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 Mshtml.dll

Which worked for a while - i think until the next time i restarted MS Outlook. I tried doing it all again and this time it hasnt made a difference.
Can any one help out here? I am using Windows XP BTW.
Many thanks.

SofisiCat.

Reaction score
- Close Outlook
- Launch Internet Explorer
- Tools > Internet Options
- Programs
- Set your e-mail client here, if it's not already set.
- If it is set, change it, click apply and change it back.
- Close IE
- Launch Outlook
- Try your link one more time

- If all that jazzy stuff didn't work
- My Computer
- Folder Options -> File Types -> Advanced

URL:Hyper Text Transfer Protocol -> Click Open in the list box > Edit > Remove DDE URL:Hyper Text

Do the same for...

URL:Hyper Text Transfer Protocol with Privacy

http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum21/8109.htm
Partially Googled by...
- Zhoul

Reaction score
Zhoul said:
- Close Outlook
- Launch Internet Explorer
- Tools > Internet Options
- Programs
- Set your e-mail client here, if it's not already set.
- If it is set, change it, click apply and change it back.
- Close IE
- Launch Outlook
- Try your link one more time

- If all that jazzy stuff didn't work
- My Computer
- Folder Options -> File Types -> Advanced

URL:Hyper Text Transfer Protocol -> Click Open in the list box > Edit > Remove DDE URL:Hyper Text

Do the same for...

URL:Hyper Text Transfer Protocol with Privacy

http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum21/8109.htm
Partially Googled by...
- Zhoul

Thanks for your response.

It seems that only some links in Outlook don't work while others do. However I followed both set of instructions as above and its made no different. the same links still give me that dreaded message "locate link browser" while others work nicely.

Incidently when i remove the tick on "DDE" in Folder Options it just rechecks itself as I close Folder Options.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The root of the issue here is simply file associations, and some other installed program 'changing' them after Office originally created them. Re-installing office over top of what you currently have there will most likely resolve the issue itself and shouldn't change any of the settings specific to your user (however, it will re-create the file associations).

If you don't want to do that for whatever reason, give us some examples of links that do work and links that don't work.

Is it the same links giving you the issue every time?
Do the other links that work, work every time?
Is it a certain file extension or link extension that works/doesnt , all the time? (i.e. html always works, where htm doesnt?)

Ask a Question