outlook could not create the word file. check the temp environment

John

i need a quick answer to this one so i am posting before doing much
searching. If you have help please let me know.

when you clickk on certain items in outlook this message pops up:
outlook could not create the word file. check the temp environment

outlook 2007 on xp pro. fairly new install...

ran scanpst, no help.

John

I did find that a registry hack of a few settings i was able to remove the
error message, so now I can focus on a better fix, and how to avoid it in
the first place.... It appeared some registry keys were pointing to his
thumb drive so, it either was full or missing and causing all sorts of fun.
yes i can try to tell them to never open from thumb drives, but is there
another fix that actually has a chance of success? Like maybe the temp
files never get changed to pointing to a tiny removable drive!

Emily Lin [MSFT]

Hi John,

Do you mean that you change the temp folder value in the registry key [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Security\]
and then the issue is fixed? If not, please let me know what solution did you used to fix the issue.

Related KB article:

Error message when you try to open or save an e-mail attachment in Outlook: "Cannot create file"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305982/en-us

Regarding the question about if there is another fix that actually has a chance of success. No, outlook cannot prevent the user to set his
Outlook temp folder as the thumb drive or networking drive. The user can define the temp folder as he want. So, if you encounter such an issue,
please check the setting and the folder permission to fix the issue. Thanks for your understanding.

If anything is unclear or if you have any other concerns, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Regards,

Emily Lin

Microsoft Online Partner Support
When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your issue.

Emily Lin [MSFT]

Hi John,

I am writing as a courtesy to follow-up on this issue. Do you have any problem at this time? If so, please let me know at your earliest
convenience. I am waiting for your reply.

Sincerely,

Emily Lin,
Microsoft Online Partner Support

When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from this issue.