Outlook 2007: Using a File as a Template when Creating a Signature

Discussion in 'Microsoft Outlook Discussion' started by Guest, Oct 7, 2006.

    I am testing MS Outlook 2007 Beta 2 Technical Refresh and would like to use a
    file as a template when creating a signature. I use a service called
    RingCentral (similar to Skype) which allows you to make and receive calls
    over the Internet, among other features. Using their website, I am able to
    download a ".htm" file that has an icon called "RingMe". When one clicks on
    the icon in your signature or website, they can call you.

    In RingCentral's website, they provide instructions on using the ".htm" file
    that has this hyperlink icon as a template when creating an e-mail signature
    in MS Outlook 2003. In that version, when you create the signature, you are
    given a dialog box where you give it a name and choose how to create the
    signature. You can Start with a blank signature, Use an existing signature
    as a template, or Use a file as a template. According to the instructions,
    we are to download the ".htm" file and use it as a template in the signature.
    This adds the hyperlink icon to the signature.

    In MS Outlook 2007 Beta 2 Technical Refresh, however, we don't seem to have
    these options. When we provide a name for the new signature, we are not also
    given the choice to Start with a blank signature, Use an existing signature
    as a template, or Use a file as a template.

    Consequently, I don't know how to use this ".htm" file as a template when
    creating my signature and add its functionality to my signature and e-mails.
    Has this feature been excluded from MS Outlook 2007, put in a different
    place, or is there another way to do it? Looking on the Web, it looks like
    people who use Skype have had a similar question, but with regard to that
    service.

    Peter Schwartz

    Guest, Oct 7, 2006

    Roady [MVP] Guest

    You can put the htm-file directly in the Signatures folder and edit it from
    within the editor.

    --
    Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
    http://www.howto-outlook.com/

    -----

    Roady [MVP], Oct 7, 2006

    Re: Outlook 2007: Using a File as a Template when Creating a Signa

    Thank you for your advice.

    I went ahead and put the file in the folder. Initially, when I went to
    Create a signature and saw the file as a choice, I selected it. But, I only
    saw a large picture placeholder with a small icon (indicating a picture
    should be there), indicating it couldn't or wouldn't show the icon. I then
    chose another signature and went back and then selected the one I want again.
    This time, I saw a tiny version of the icon. I couldn't make it larger and
    clicking on it didn nothing. However, if I just open it up in Internet
    Explorer, it appears as the correct size. And, when you click on it there,
    it opens up another window for someone to type their phone number with
    instructions on how to call me.

    Any suggestions on what I should do from here?

    Peter

    Guest, Oct 7, 2006

    Roady [MVP] Guest

    Re: Outlook 2007: Using a File as a Template when Creating a Signa

    Clicking it in the editor has no effect; How does the signature look like
    and work when inserted in a message?
    Additionally you can define the dimensions of the picture in the HTML of the
    template. If you open the template look for the img tag for the picture and
    specify the size there for instance; width="212" height="263"

    Roady [MVP], Oct 7, 2006