    Any help would be gratefully received -

    Regards,

    Michael Hewson MCP

    Michael Hewson, Jul 29, 2004

  2. odd... what type of account are you working with?

    "Michael Hewson" <> wrote in message
    > I have just upgraded Office 2003 to SP1 as well as installing the new junk
    > mail update and my Outlook 2003 rules no loner work when Outlook is open -
    > If I close it and reopen it all the rules then work but any subsequent
    > e-mails that come in while outlook is running do not work. Any ideas as

    > why this should suddenly start happening? I have even re-created all my
    > rules but to no avail - Before the installation of these updates

    everything

    neo [mvp outlook], Jul 29, 2004

  3. An ordinary SMTP exchange account - all mail is stored on the server and
    then delivered into a Personal folder on the user's PC.

    Michael Hewson, Jul 29, 2004
  4. Michael Hewson

    AC Guest

    I'm seeing an identical problem after downloading the
    update to the spam engine. I have three rules set up to
    delete spam permanently which used to work beautifully.
    Following the update to the anti-spam facility the spam
    messages are simply directed to the Junk E-mail folder and
    it appears that the rules simply do not run.

    Here's hoping for a speedy solution!

    Regards
    AC

    work. Any ideas as to

    AC, Jul 29, 2004
  5. And do rules work if the user configures the exchange profile to used cached
    mode? (e.g. leave the default place for mail delivery to mailbox -
    <username> and leave cached mode on.) While you answer that, I will build a
    profile against a test mailbox that does what you describe.

    neo [mvp outlook], Jul 30, 2004
  6. My e-mail is already configured with cache mode switched on - with regard to
    delivery - do you mean reconfigure it so that the mail stays on the Exchange
    server mailbox and doesn't then get moved into the mailbox residing on my
    PC?
    One thing I have noticed is that when I set the rules I don't get the option
    to choose between Server Rules or Client Rules like I do on previous
    versions of Outlook. I don't know whether that is significant.

    Michael Hewson, Jul 30, 2004
  7. I'm confused... this is what I thought you described as a profile.

    1) Add MS Exchange Transport and configure it for cached mode (or
    non-cached)
    2) Add a Personal Folders file
    3) Set the delivery location to the Personal Folders file

    At this point, if I was to create a rule, the rule would be stored in the
    personal folder file because it contains the *default* inbox. I'm thinking
    this configuration may break rules since items are not truly being delivered
    to the Inbox by the Exchange transport. In reality it would be considered a
    move.

    How close am I to what I thought you originally described.

    neo [mvp outlook], Jul 30, 2004
  8. Thats exactly how I am configured -

    The mail is delivered in Cached mode to the personal folder - however the
    mail then does not get redirected to the relevant folders as it should do as
    designated by the rules I have set. It stays in the Inbox. However if I then
    click on Send/Receive All from the toolbar, the mail then gets sent to the
    relevant folders as designated by my rules.
    It is very strange.

    Thanks,

    > I'm confused... this is what I thought you described as a profile.
    >
    > 1) Add MS Exchange Transport and configure it for cached mode (or
    > non-cached)
    > 2) Add a Personal Folders file
    > 3) Set the delivery location to the Personal Folders file
    >
    > At this point, if I was to create a rule, the rule would be stored in the
    > personal folder file because it contains the *default* inbox. I'm

    thinking
    > this configuration may break rules since items are not truly being

    delivered
    > to the Inbox by the Exchange transport. In reality it would be considered

    > move.
    >
    > How close am I to what I thought you originally described.
    >
    > "Michael Hewson" <> wrote in message
    > > My e-mail is already configured with cache mode switched on - with

    regard
    > > delivery - do you mean reconfigure it so that the mail stays on the

    > Exchange
    > > server mailbox and doesn't then get moved into the mailbox residing on

    my
    > > PC?
    > > One thing I have noticed is that when I set the rules I don't get the

    > option
    > > to choose between Server Rules or Client Rules like I do on previous
    > > versions of Outlook. I don't know whether that is significant.
    > >
    > > "neo [mvp outlook]" <> wrote in message
    > > > And do rules work if the user configures the exchange profile to used

    > > cached
    > > > mode? (e.g. leave the default place for mail delivery to mailbox -
    > > > <username> and leave cached mode on.) While you answer that, I will

    > build
    > > > profile against a test mailbox that does what you describe.
    > > >
    > > > "Michael Hewson" <> wrote in message

    > and

    message

    Michael Hewson, Aug 2, 2004
  9. Out of curiosity, why use a PST file when cached mode Exchange offers the
    same benefits as that local PST?

    neo [mvp outlook], Aug 2, 2004
  10. Michael Hewson

    Michael Guest

    Most of our mailboxes use Outlook 2000 or XP and that was the configuration
    we adopted for those clients - we have only just recently upgraded some of
    our clients to 2003 and for the timebeing we wanted to keep a common
    configuration for all clients across the domain.

    --
    Michael Hewson

    Michael, Aug 2, 2004
  11. Michael Hewson

    Guest Guest

    I have the same setup with exactly the same problem and it has only been an issue since I installed SP1 for Office 2003.

    Al

    Guest, Aug 5, 2004
  12. Michael,
    I had this same problem and I turned off Cached Exchange
    Server mode and my rules started working. I do not know
    why this is happening but it is.

    Lenny Giambalvo

    Progressive Software

    Lenny Giambalvo, Aug 10, 2004
  13. I am having this exact same issue. Actually at least 4 of
    our users counting myself are having this issue. All of
    them started right after the Office 2003 SP1 install. All
    users connect to a local Exchange 2000 server over the
    local network, mail is brought down to local PST files for
    storage. Any rules defined do not work for any of these
    users. Manually hitting "Send/Receive" however will cause
    the rules to work. We've tried deleting all rules and
    restoring them. Deleteing all rules an recreating them.
    But so far nothing has worked. The only thing we haven't
    tried yet is reinstalling Office 2003 (since you can't
    uninstall the SP or reinstall it). Which really isn't an
    option for all our users.

    -Leith

    Any ideas as to

    Leith Tussing, Aug 11, 2004
  14. Michael Hewson

    Guest Guest

    Lenny,

    Your solution also worked for me as well. Unfortunately I have now lost the
    benefits of the Cached Exchange Mode. I hope MS investigate this and provide
    a real solution soon?

    Al

    Guest, Aug 12, 2004