    be a way to distinguish the spam that will not reply to the contacts not
    listed in the contacts list that I would like to receive email from.

    thank you

    mobile, Sep 6, 2007

  2. yes, rules support doing things to messages based on address book entries...
    so the rule could read:

    Send all mail an auto reply except if in my address book... however, it's
    really dumb since 99% of the spam will be spam - you'll have a lot of bounce
    backs to deal with. Better is to set junk on high and keep the junk filters
    updated.

    Or try Sue's rules:
    http://www.slipstick.com/rules/junkmail.asp

    --
    Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

    Outlook Tips by email:

    Diane Poremsky, Sep 6, 2007

  3. mobile

    Mark Guest

    It is also not a good idea to reply to spam. It lets the spammer know
    they've found a valid address and that only leads to more spam if not worse.
    Also a bit risky to say you want no email except from addresses already in
    your address book. What about the case where you run into an old friend and
    trade addresses. If you don't get his or her address in your book you'll
    trash anything they send you. Or a case where you need to enter an address
    in a web form for a bank or some other 'valid' use. You may not know what
    address they might send something from so you may trash an important
    message.

    Mark, Sep 6, 2007
  4. mobile

    mobile Guest

    what you have described is what I am trying to avoid.

    I run into people, all kinds, work, old friends, new friends, more work and
    do not have time to get everyone's email address, or I give out a card with
    my address and they send email.

    I am just trying to cut down on the spam email. getting hard to keep in
    control manually,

    thank you to the group, I will try to not be so "dumb" and use the four
    filters outlined by Susan.

    any more ideas, I am all ears.

    thank you

    mobile, Sep 6, 2007