Outlook Outlook 2003 problems in Win 7 Pro (64-bit)

Reaction score
My default browser is Firefox 3.6.12, and have set in Tools >Options >Applications > mailto 'Use Microsoft Outlook'.

However when I double click on a web page with an email address in, it does switch to Outlook, but I get 2 error windows on my 'Outlook Today' page.

1. Window says script error. 'An error has occurred in the script on this page Line: 298, Char: 1, Error: Could not complete the operation due to error 92804005, URL: outlook.today'

2. Window 2 beneath 1 says 'Couldn't perform this operation because Default Mail Client is not properly installed'

As far as I can tell there is no problem with using Outlook to send/ receive emails, and all the other functions within Outlook 2003 (11.8325.8329) SP3.

As I have a dual HDDs, I can boot up XP Pro on the 2nd. Firefox with Outlook performs flawlessly on double clicking an email address on a web page.

Has anybody seen this, and more importantly know a fix?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Can you try setting a default mail client in Windows 7 (in addition to FireFox's local settings). If you type "Set your default programs" in to the Start Menu, it should pop up as an option. Just click Outlook on this menu, and then "Set this program as default".

Fingers crossed :)

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Can you try setting a default mail client in Windows 7 (in addition to FireFox's local settings). If you type "Set your default programs" in to the Start Menu, it should pop up as an option. Just click Outlook on this menu, and then "Set this program as default".

Fingers crossed :)

Ian, Thanks for prompt response. When I look at Control Panel >Default Programs >Set Default Programs the programs don't list Outlook. The listed programs are: 1. Firefox, 2. Internet Explorer, 3. Paint,
4. Windows Contacts, 5. Windows Disc Image Burner, 6.Windows Media Center, 7. Windows Media Player,
8. Windows Photo Viewer, 9. Windows Search Explorer, 10. WordPad.

In this page's menu bar, the Edit function is greyed out, so how do you add Outlook.exe? This is located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11

I suspect you're on the right track!

Thanks

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've done some digging and it looks like this option may not be available in Outlook 2003 (only 2007 and 2010) - I guess because it was made quite some time before Vista/W7 started using this option.

Can you try the following and see if that help - it's worth a shot, but I'm a bit stuck if this doesn't work:
  • Open Outlook
  • Go to the Tools - Options menu
  • Choose the Other tab
  • Check the [ ] Make Outlook the default program for E-mail, Contacts, and Calendar

Reaction score
Hello Ian,
I checked this and it was already ticked! However, I unticked it, applied. I then loaded FF found a web email double clicked on it and then for some reason Outlook through a 'wobbly'. It went into a non-responding state. I closed it and then it re-started it, it went into 'Safe' mode, but was unresponsive.

I closed Win 7 and rebooted. When I started Outlook, it asked me to go into a 'Repair mode' which I accepted, and then looked like it was re-installing. It came up OK again in a short while, and I ticked the box: make Outlook default... .

Outlook is fine now. I did try something new in Other tab >Advanced Options Startup in this folder >and selected Inbox. Going back to Web page again and double clicking email address produced a different outcome. Instead of error window saying 'Script Error' I got 'Mail Client not found' window with message 'Could not perform this operation because default mail client is not properly installed'.

Clicking on this, produced a surprise with 'IE cannot display web page' in the blue bar where 'Inbox' title would normally be. On page, it listed various reasons why it failed. However, it was obvious because in the Web toolbar address field the address showed 'mailto:and the actual email address' I had double clicked on. Clearly, Outlook has confused the 'mailto:xxxxxxx@xxx' as a web page instead of a valid email address in a new message.

Regards

Ask a Question