    messages, I would be eternally grateful!!!

    Thanks ever so,

    Cathy

    Guest, Apr 23, 2007

  2. You likely had a chosen screen resolution in Windows XP that is not
    supported by the drivers supplied by Vista. This setting may have been
    carried over when you upgraded to Vista (they should not have been).

    When you first start your computer, repeatedly tap the F8 key. This will
    eventually bring you to the advanced startup screen where there are numerous
    boot up choices. Choose to boot in the Low Resolution Mode.

    When you get to the Windows Desktop, right click on the desktop and go to
    Personalize, then to Display Settings. Use the slider to choose a resolution
    that your LCD can handle. Then, reboot.

    Two things here. You may have to look at your manual to find out how to use
    the F8 key on your laptop. You may have to press another key first before
    the F8 key can be utilized.

    Also, you will have to look in the manual to find out the recommended screen
    resolution for your display.

    --

    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from George Ankner:

    Richard Urban, Apr 23, 2007

    JW Guest

    Cathy,
    If unable to select low resolution for your F8 boot and resolve your problem
    then I have a few questions:
    1. What kind of display are you using as your PC display over what
    interface?
    2. If not a standard PC monitor do you have one you can connect and again
    try F8.
    3. Are you runnig 32 bit or 64 bit Vista on your 64bit system.
    4. When trying to manually shut down your PC have you tried pushing the
    on/off button for 8-10 seconds instead of just unpluging it?

    JW, Apr 23, 2007
  4. I have an Acer Aspire 5633WLMi Laptop and received upgrade via "Upgrade
    Redemption Program".

    If you had upgrade via "Upgrade Redemption Program" Then Follow The Advice
    from this link:

    http://support.acer-euro.com/winvista/index.html

    http://support.acer-euro.com/winvista/FAQ.html

    http://support.acer-euro.com/winvista/quick_guide_to_windows_upgrade_v1.htm

    This Message may be something to do with the graphics driver. Or Your
    monitor settings are not rite.

    If i was you i would check your monitor settings via vista in safe mode and
    any buttons you may have on your monitor if no success reinstall and follow
    the guide on that link. make sure you got latest drivers to.

    Heres the link for your PC info and drivers etc...

    http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/desktop/aspire_t180.html

    computergenie, Apr 23, 2007

    Don Guest

    CAFFF wrote:
    > I have a new Acer T180 PC and tried upgrading from XP to Vista over the
    > weekend. It went fine until the last stage of the installation, and now if I
    > turn my machine on, I can only start it in safe mode, and then I get a black
    > screen with "Out of Range" on it...

    I get exactly the same 'out of range' on my LCD monitor. This is caused
    by the Vista bootmgr menu (for reasons I don't understand) but I can see
    the boot menu perfectly if I plug in my clunky old CRT monitor instead.

    By using the old monitor I figured out that the bootmgr was just waiting
    for the 30-second timeout before booting the default (Vista). So, when
    I see the out-of-range message I just hit 'enter' and Vista boots right
    away. If I want to boot the 'legacy' XP I need to hit the up-arrow key
    first, and then 'enter'.

    Give it a try and see what happens. (Blind leading the blind ;o)

    Don, Apr 23, 2007

    Thank you all for your advice and suggestions - I will try them when I get
    home this evening and let you know how I get on!

    Thanks so much - I may finally be able to use my new PC!

    Cathy

    Guest, Apr 24, 2007

    roscar451

    Joined:
    May 16, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    May 15, 2012:

    Hitting enter after out of range message and waiting works like a champ. I am home free! Thanks very much.

    roscar451, May 16, 2012