OT Microsoft MVP Award given to Adware Pusher?

Discussion in 'Spyware Announcements' started by Guest, Oct 5, 2006.

    plun Guest

    By the way if I remember the disclaimer of Patchou warned of software to
    install but nobody as usual "read" the agreements.

    Guest, Oct 6, 2006

    plun Guest

    Engel skrev:
    > By the way if I remember the disclaimer of Patchou warned of software to
    > install but nobody as usual "read" the agreements.

    Hi Engel

    Well.... Messenger Plus is special...

    http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers/43.html

    http://msmvps.com/blogs/spywaresucks/archive/2006/04/07/89692.aspx

    Most funny is that MS One Care is the only scanner which
    detects the whole
    setupfile as a threat.....

    http://www.vitalsecurity.org/2006/10/microsoft-give-mvp-award-to-adware.html

    Really sad...

    regards
    plun

    plun, Oct 6, 2006

    More links pertaining to Mr. Patchou's bit of adware from Sandi Hardmeier
    blog. You have to scroll to see the pictures.

    http://msmvps.com/blogs/spywaresucks/archive/2006/06/30/103407.aspx

    http://msmvps.com/blogs/spywaresucks/archive/2006/06/25/102793.aspx

    http://msmvps.com/blogs/spywaresucks/archive/2006/04/07/89692.aspx

    http://msmvps.com/blogs/spywaresucks/archive/2005/12/05/78084.aspx

    Guest, Oct 6, 2006

    plun Guest

    Hi Engel

    Well... I´ve seen that pics myself on several infested
    PCs.... ;)

    I just hope that MS and Patchou can solve this dilemma and
    go on.

    For the whole cleaning community this is sad.

    In nearly every forum there is endless discussions about
    Msgplus and his sponsor. And every discussion ends in a
    "flamewar"
    about the sponsor and about "stupid" users.

    I don´t believe that those users are "stupid", they just
    doesn´t understand
    what the sponsor does.

    regards
    plun

    plun, Oct 6, 2006
  7. Anonymous Bob, Oct 7, 2006

    This is a terrible day only because you people make it a terrible day. He's
    has been contributing to the MSN community for years and people fail to
    recognise this and the optional sponsor. Of course you're going to get
    "flamed" when your information is 99.9% incorrect most of the time.

    Guest, Oct 7, 2006

    plun Guest

    traxor skrev:
    > This is a terrible day only because you people make it a terrible day. He's
    > has been contributing to the MSN community for years and people fail to
    > recognise this and the optional sponsor. Of course you're going to get
    > "flamed" when your information is 99.9% incorrect most of the time.

    Hi Traxor

    He can easily remove this sponsor and still contribute to
    the MSN community.

    It´must be a lot of users which doesn´t understand this
    setup dialog... ;)
    Big Money maybe....

    He deserves a MVP title for Msgplus without the sponsor.

    Maybe it´s also possible to "clean out" behaviors in his
    forum such as Mess patch, A-patch etc which learn young
    users that patching is OK.... strange ?!!

    Have a nice day

    --
    plun

    plun, Oct 7, 2006

    plun Guest

    Anonymous Bob skrev:
    > Appearently, the award has now been rescinded.
    > http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,17035085

    Hi Bob

    I hope this is true or maybe MS can persuade Patchou to
    remove the sponsor and then
    he can keep the MVP title... ;)

    Well, this also become "big news" when it was spread...

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=153

    http://www.techweb.com/wire/software/193105167

    http://www.computerworld.com/action...icleBasic&articleId=9003930&source=rss_news50

    http://www.cio.com/blog_view.html?CID=25578

    Atribunes blog is great:
    http://www.atribune.org/Blog/

    and also Bleepings
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/sec...mvp-award-receiver-tarnishes-the-mvp-program/

    regards
    plun

    plun, Oct 7, 2006

    Hi Plun,

    I don't think he can contribute as much as he does now if he removes the
    sponsor, simply because that's his main source of income, and without he'd
    need to get a full time job and then he'll have hardly any time to spend
    contributing to the msn community.

    It is the people who don't understand what they're doing who usually install
    the sponsor software, I'm not going to disagree with that. However, a lot of
    people who do actually want to support Patchou install the software too.

    Patchou doesn't patch any software, he simply uses a method of hooking,
    there's a difference.

    - traxor

    Guest, Oct 7, 2006

    Microsoft have no right to persuade Patchou to remove anything from his
    software. They made him that status, it's their choice and they should stick
    by it. They should not allow people to stick their noses in and choose what
    they think Microsoft should do, it's just unprofessional.

    Guest, Oct 7, 2006
  13. "traxor" <> wrote in message
    > This is a terrible day only because you people make it a terrible day.

    He's
    > has been contributing to the MSN community for years and people fail to
    > recognise this and the optional sponsor. Of course you're going to get
    > "flamed" when your information is 99.9% incorrect most of the time.

    I'm no expert and anyone can make mistakes, but few are wrong 99.9% of the
    time.<bEg>

    Here are a few some expert opinions:

    C2.Lop
    http://www.pestpatrol.com/spywarecenter/pest.aspx?id=453094362
    http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_134945.htm
    http://www.xblock.com/product_show.php?id=405
    http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/pest/pest.aspx?id=453094362
    http://research.sunbelt-software.com/threatdisplay.aspx?name=C2.Lop&threatid=8144

    Swizzor (Another name for LOP)
    http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/virus.aspx?id=14461
    http://www.bitdefender.com/VIRUS-143019-en-Trojan.Swizzor.DH.html
    http://www.viruslist.com/en/viruses/encyclopedia?virusid=65694
    http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/trojswizzorbq.html
    http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/swizzor.shtml
    http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_134088.htm

    Respectfully,
    Bob Vanderveen

    Anonymous Bob, Oct 7, 2006

    plun Guest

    traxor skrev:
    > Hi Plun,
    >
    > I don't think he can contribute as much as he does now if he removes the
    > sponsor, simply because that's his main source of income, and without he'd
    > need to get a full time job and then he'll have hardly any time to spend
    > contributing to the msn community.
    >
    > It is the people who don't understand what they're doing who usually install
    > the sponsor software, I'm not going to disagree with that. However, a lot of
    > people who do actually want to support Patchou install the software too.
    >
    > Patchou doesn't patch any software, he simply uses a method of hooking,
    > there's a difference.

    Hi again

    Well.... I don´t want this to be the usual "flamewar".

    - Messenger Plus is a great application.

    - His sponsor is "shit" for a user which doesn´t understand
    the meaning with this.

    - Last time I tested it with the sponsor it also included
    Errorsafe and Winantivirus, also real "shit" for a newbie.
    If you have helped a "newbie" with this "shit" you understand.

    - Msgplus, Mess.be-Mess patch and the A-patch community is
    closely connected to each other.
    But maybe it´s OK to patch Live Messenger ? Maybe
    therefore a MVP is needed ?

    I remove ads with Firefox and Adblock, no needs for
    patches... ;)

    regards
    plun

    plun, Oct 7, 2006

    I think you misread my post.

    Guest, Oct 7, 2006

    Hi again Plun,

    Thanks for the reply.

    I understand what you mean about it being difficult to uninstall for
    somebody who hasn't a clue, as it were.

    I use patches, but it doesn't mean I agree with the removal of ads etc, as
    sometimes I may feel bad for people who need the income, however like I said,
    Patchou never directly patches anything, or does he condone it.

    - Luke

    Guest, Oct 7, 2006
  17. There's been no quarrel with his contribution to Live, and MSN. The quarrel
    is with the long time and still continuing practice of bundling C2/Lop
    spyware with his useful application. Optional (or not, as in the past)--the
    sponsor opens the users machine to code not of their choosing, and subject
    matter entirely inappropriate for main body of his users. This is a problem
    Cyril Paciullo has the power to change, and has chosen not to.

    Bill Sanderson MVP, Oct 7, 2006

    Once again, I think you've failed to read. Messenger Plus! Live no longer
    bundles adware by c2media/lop.

    Guest, Oct 7, 2006
  19. Microsoft listens to its customers. Generally, this is considered to be a
    Good Thing. The users of Messenger Plus far outnumber MVP's as a whole, let
    alone MVP's awarded in a security-related area. However, I think it is
    clear that Microsoft is serious about security, and they've taken the
    appropriate action.

    You are not the only person speaking up for the level of contribution that
    Messenger Plus provides--it is the negative contribution of the sponsor
    program that is the issue.

    I'm a little startled that you can make this statement:

    "It is the people who don't understand what they're doing who usually
    install
    the sponsor software, I'm not going to disagree with that."

    Most folks using PC's today probably fit the category of "people who don't
    understand what they're doing"--at least with regard to choosing options on
    app installs. They are the folks we need to protect.

    Bill Sanderson MVP, Oct 7, 2006
  20. "traxor" <> wrote in message
    > Once again, I think you've failed to read. Messenger Plus! Live no longer
    > bundles adware by c2media/lop.

    You are correct, sir, the sponsor is now Circle Development, but it's just
    as bad or maybe even worse.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/spywaresucks/archive/2006/04/07/89691.aspx

    Or:
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/spywaresucks/archive/2006/04/07/89692.aspx
    it removes protective entries from HOSTS files, it *may* edit your firewall
    settings to grant itself unfettered access to and from the net (blocked on
    my system by Group Policy). Older, vulnerable operating systems, or systems
    running with lowered security settings, will be infected with additional
    malware products automatically. You won't just get the "Sponsor", you'll
    get the Sponsor and lots of other crap. Read on.

    Bob Vanderveen

    Anonymous Bob, Oct 7, 2006