    upgrade from WIN 98 and I lost the original WIN 98 CD
    during house moving. How can I transfer the OS?

    , Apr 21, 2004

  2. You should visit to the support website of the manufacturer of your new
    hard drive and see if they have a free utility program that you can use to
    accomplish this task. For example, if you have a new Western Digital drive,
    you can download their free Data Lifeguard Tools which includes "drive-to-drive
    copy capability" (Ref: http://support.wdc.com/download/).

    Fujitsu
    http://www.fcpa.fujitsu.com/download/hard-drives/#diagnostic

    IBM and Hitachi
    http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm#DFT

    Maxtor
    http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/products/index.htm

    Seagate
    http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/index.html

    Western Digital
    http://support.wdc.com/download/
    www.westerndigital.com

    Or you can purchase Norton Ghost and create an "image"
    of your old hard drive:

    Norton Ghost 2003
    http://www.symantec.com/sabu/ghost/ghost_personal/

    --