Opinions on new rig

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
looks good to me, are you just getting the one raptor and no other drives?

Reaction score
think so, i store most data on a server so i was going for small and fast.

If i need more i can always stick another one in at6 a later date.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
All looks good to me, I'm going to assume it's built to a budget?

But Microdirect? Are you sure?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
All looks good to me!

I use MicroDirect sometimes, as they seem fine over the counter (as I'm sure you'll do as you're close). Aria are only 1 min away too, so they might be worth a look for price checks.

Reaction score
Corsair RAM

If the Mobo you select has a dual channel memory controller, then you are better to go for a matched pair of 256MB modules rather than a single 512MB. Better still, get a matched pair of 512MB and have a Gig!

I think the dual controllers are slightly faster if a matched pair are fitted to the correct slot pair. This is the case with the Asus board I have.

Jock.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
BigJock2005 said:
If the Mobo you select has a dual channel memory controller, then you are better to go for a matched pair of 256MB modules rather than a single 512MB. Better still, get a matched pair of 512MB and have a Gig!

I think the dual controllers are slightly faster if a matched pair are fitted to the correct slot pair. This is the case with the Asus board I have.

Jock.

Hey bj, if you take a close look at Techy's spec, it does in fact say 'x 2' at the end of his memory link.

So I'd assume that two sticks of 512 totalling one gig :)

Memory's cheap atm ain't it? I make that £66.00 inc VAT for a Gig of Corsair basic. I think I paid over a hundred quid for same thing not too long ago.

Reaction score
Yeah, but that's always the way. I bought 2x512MB Value Plus Corsair abt 4 months ago, cost me £90. You can save alot of money if you buy the "next best" instead of the leading, and the performance drop is often not much. Think I'm going to splash out on anothe 2x512MB simply because the performance improvement going to 1GB was immense - especially if you're dealing with big files as I do.

Jock

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
BigJock2005 said:
Yeah, but that's always the way. I bought 2x512MB Value Plus Corsair abt 4 months ago, cost me £90. You can save alot of money if you buy the "next best" instead of the leading, and the performance drop is often not much. Think I'm going to splash out on anothe 2x512MB simply because the performance improvement going to 1GB was immense - especially if you're dealing with big files as I do.

Jock

You're absolutely right :)

One of the biggest improvements in overall system performance was going from 512 to 1 Gig.

I noticed it especially when rendering captured video files.

And Corsair value select is fine, stable memory, just don't try overclocking it too much ;)

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
BigJock2005 said:
If the Mobo you select has a dual channel memory controller

dont the Athlon 64's have the memory controller built into the CPU ?

Reaction score
thats about identical to the pc i am building, except for an a8n-sli and 3700+ :O - case, psu and everything

Ask a Question