    Question: Is it possible to open these files while slaved on a second PC, or
    after I install a new drive and OS?

    Thanks!

    Guest, Aug 3, 2005

    Bob I Guest

    Yes. Provided of course they were not encrypted and no recovery
    certificate. Simply "Take Ownership". See Help and Support on the subject.

    Bob I, Aug 3, 2005

  3. RCOC wrote:

    > My hardrive posts a failure warning, and XP Home SP2 crashes soon after
    > booting. Reovery/restore does not work. I plan to install a new hard drive
    > and reinstall the OS.
    >
    > However, I can recover some data when the faulty drive is slaved in a second
    > PC, but the "owner" files are not "authorized" to be accessed.
    >
    > Question: Is it possible to open these files while slaved on a second PC, or
    > after I install a new drive and OS?

    Hi,

    Taking ownership should help:

    "Access is Denied" Error Message When You Try to Open a Folder
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810881

    Note this one from KB308421:

    <quote>
    If you are running Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, you must
    start the computer in safe mode, and then log on with an account
    that has Administrative rights to have access to the Security tab.
    </quote>

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\), Aug 3, 2005

    Thanks so much!