    pops saying that the files were successfully extracted but nothing else
    happens. The files do not open. The default location the files were
    downloaded is my desktop. I need help please.

    Guest, Aug 24, 2007

    I'm having the same problem. Did you find a solution to the problem?

    Guest, Oct 20, 2007

  3. Not all self extracting zip files are auto executing. If it is not, you have
    to go to the extracted location and run the executable.

    BTW, you should not really use the desktop for anything except shortcuts to
    files that are stored elsewhere in proper folders. The shortcuts are usually
    pointers to executables that run an installed program. It's not law - it's
    just good practice.

    --

    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Richard Urban, Oct 20, 2007

    I tried to extract the documents from the zip file to a folder under "My
    Documents." Then, when I open the new folder, it is empty. This problem only
    occurs on Vista. When attempted to extract the same files onto a friend's
    computer running XP, I do not encounter the same problem.

    Any suggestions?

    Guest, Oct 20, 2007

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Optan.

    Aha! "My Documents" does not exist in Vista - except as a "Junction" to
    point the way to the real location for programs that have not yet been
    updated from the WinXP folder structure.

    The equivalent folder in Vista is probably Users\Optan (or whatever
    Username)\Documents. But you might need to explore (and maybe consult Help
    and Support) to find the exact destination.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP
    (Running Windows Live Mail beta 2 in Vista Ultimate x64 SP1 beta v.275)

    R. C. White, Oct 22, 2007

    lukecal Guest

    I encountered the same problem with an .exe file.
    Under Windows 98ME the file was extracting himself in several files and
    directories.
    In VISTA nothing happens.
    Whe I right click on the file, I dont see the extract option.

    Lukecal

    ---------

    lukecal, Dec 28, 2007