    restarting.

    Frustrating. thanks for any help.
    Kozmo

    Kozmo, Oct 26, 2008

  2. try re-registering the app:

    Start > Run >
    Excel.exe /regserver
    --
    Gary''s Student - gsnu200810

    Gary''s Student, Oct 26, 2008

  3. Kozmo

    Kozmo Guest

    RE: Open Excel file get error with file names that have spaces in

    Thanks for the suggestion. I ran “excel.exe /regserver†as you suggested.
    Result is that when I click on an Excel file, the program opens but the file
    doesn’t. I can open the file from within Excel but not through windows
    explorer or shortcuts. I re-booted; no change.

    It’s not clear to me what the settings in advanced folder options should be.
    For excel, they are currently:
    In edit file type:
    All three options unchecked; “confirm open after download,†“always show
    extension,†and “browse in same window.â€
    In editing action:
    Application: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\EXCEL.EXE" /e
    Use DDE: checked
    DDE message: blank
    Application: Excel
    DDE application not running: blank
    Topic: “systemâ€

    Kozmo, Oct 26, 2008
  4. RE: Open Excel file get error with file names that have spaces in

    We are getting close!!

    If a double-click of an icon opens the Excel app, but not the file, then:

    Tools > Options... > General > clear the ignore other applications checkbox
    --
    Gary''s Student - gsnu200810

    Gary''s Student, Oct 26, 2008
  5. Kozmo

    Kozmo Guest

    RE: Open Excel file get error with file names that have spaces in

    I don't know what happened but I'm about back at the beginning, if not worse.

    Getting the path error for every space in the path being opened
    Files are opening in the same window.

    Should I go back and reregister again?

    Kozmo, Oct 26, 2008
  6. RE: Open Excel file get error with file names that have spaces in

    re-registery can't hurt.
    --
    Gary''s Student - gsnu200810

    Gary''s Student, Oct 26, 2008
  7. Kozmo

    Kozmo Guest

    RE: Open Excel file get error with file names that have spaces in

    So I re-registered, re-booted, and ran it for a few days. I can't figure out
    a pattern. Sometimes I get the error due to spaces in the path, sometimes
    files open fine in different windows, sometimes they open in the same window.
    I guess I could start a log of everything I do and how it responds. Seems
    like all other Office programs work fine.

    Thanks for your continued help.

    Kozmo, Oct 29, 2008
  8. Kozmo

    prasun

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Guys to solve this issue simply wrap the file name in double quotes. E.g. if the file name is
    C:\Documents and Settings\ABC XYZ.xls then use
    "C:\Documents and Settings\ABC XYZ.xls" instead.

    If you are using it from code then escape the quotes like
    "\"C:\Documents and Settings\ABC XYZ.xls\""

    prasun, Feb 1, 2011