OOPS, Skype dont work

Reaction score
I have attached my Logitech camera to the PC and downloaded Skype, when I tried to call a friend in the US who was online Skype informed me that my OS Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.3 is not supported. Is there any other software which I can use ?

Reaction score
No I downloaded and got all the other stuff telephone etc but I really wanted the video bit so I could talk to friends in the US, It may be me not downloading the right version

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Hopefully Evan and Mr Mucks have got you up and running with Skype again, but, if I might also throw in a suggestion (which might be useful to know about either as a backup, or possibly a free alternative to Skype.)

If you have the latest version of Firefox browser, you already have "Hello." It is free, and provides you with instant video-chat; no account to sign-into and nothing extra to download. You only have to send a conversation link to a friend and ask them to click it. (If they don't use Firefox, the link should still work at their end if they use Google Chrome or Opera.)

Firefox Hello explained in detail HERE

Firefox Hello: https://www.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/hello/

Reaction score
Hard drive died and had to rebuild so sorry not to have answered so here they are.

Hi Evan, Thanks for the links unfortunately as yet I have not had time yet to investigate your links.

Thanks TC and Mr Mucks for your input a I will be looking into those suggestions when I am fully up and running after my hard drive problem.
Anyway Thank you all for your help I will Keep you posted.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Reaction score
I have a Linux computer running Ubuntu 14.x. For Skype to work, enable webcam. Go to the terminal and enter:
"webcam". Then it will launch webcam. Then Skype should launch with video. Also check that your video driver is enabled.

Reaction score
Thank You Kara for your answer, welcome to PCR and do join in you are most welcome. I am running Linux Mint 17.3 and have done so since last December so I am a newby with Linux. Once again welcome to PCR enjoy:lol::thumb:

Ask a Question