Older Version of Messenger Won't Erase

G

My version of Windows XP is about 1 1/2 years old. The program files contain a folder labeled "Messenger," containing v4.7. Although I've upgraded to MSN Messenger 6.1, it didn't automatically overwrite and remove v4.7. This older version apparently continues to run in the background, showing me as being on-line when I don't want to be.

When I open v6.1, a message appears saying that I've been automatically logged off from using Messenger on another computer

I've tried deleting the Messenger (v4.7) folder and its contents, but it is protected by Windows from being deleted. Also I've attempted to use the Windows Program Uninstall tool in Control Panel, but it doesn't recognize that v4.7 is on my computer.

How can I get rid of v4.7?

J

Jonathan Kay [MVP]

Greetings Rick,

Windows Messenger 4.7 isn't supposed to be removed. If you do remove it, features like
Remote Assistance, Whiteboard and Application Sharing will no longer function. Instead, you
can fully disable it by opening it up (click Start, then Run, type "msmsgs" and click OK),
click Tools, Options, Preferences tab and uncheck 'Run this Program when Windows starts' or
'Run Windows Messenger when Windows starts' (depending on version) as well as 'Allow this
program to run in the background' or 'Allow Windows Messenger to run in the background'
(depending on version). This won't remove Windows Messenger, so features like Remote
Assistance, Whiteboard and Application Sharing will continue to work, but it will let it stay
out of your way.

Also, do you have Norton Antivirus installed? Recent versions of Norton Antivirus added a
new "instant messaging scanning" feature, which can conflict with Messenger and cause it to
also keep starting. To stop it, open Norton Antivirus (Right-click on the Norton Antivirus
icon in the System Tray/Notification Area (by the clock), choose 'Open Norton Antivirus'),
click Options, then Instant Messenger then uncheck MSN Instant Messenger and click OK.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/
Messenger Resources - http://messenger.jonathankay.com

Ask a Question