    availability is low and prices don't seem to have come down at all. Is
    anybody else seeing that?

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Nov 27, 2006

  2. Yousuf Khan

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 16:47:24 -0500, Yousuf Khan wrote:

    > A friend has a Socket 939 mobo, with a single-core A64-3000+ and I was
    > telling him that now that Socket AM2 is mainstream, it might be the time
    > to pick up the old S939 X2's. We checked a few places, and the
    > availability is low and prices don't seem to have come down at all. Is
    > anybody else seeing that?

    There's a shortage of 939 X2's right now. You can get an X2 4600+ for
    about the same as an X2 3800+. AM2 X2's are a lot lower.

    Wes Newell, Nov 27, 2006

  3. Yousuf Khan

    xorbit Guest

    Yousuf Khan wrote:

    > A friend has a Socket 939 mobo, with a single-core A64-3000+ and I was
    > telling him that now that Socket AM2 is mainstream, it might be the time
    > to pick up the old S939 X2's. We checked a few places, and the
    > availability is low and prices don't seem to have come down at all. Is
    > anybody else seeing that?
    >
    > Yousuf Khan

    Look at Opteron S939 X2s. They are there and reduced in proce. Try Newegg.

    xorbit, Nov 27, 2006
  4. Yousuf Khan

    Tony Hill Guest

    <> wrote:

    >A friend has a Socket 939 mobo, with a single-core A64-3000+ and I was
    >telling him that now that Socket AM2 is mainstream, it might be the time
    >to pick up the old S939 X2's. We checked a few places, and the
    >availability is low and prices don't seem to have come down at all. Is
    >anybody else seeing that?

    Yup. I don't think that all that many S939 X2 chips ever got
    produced, and it seems like AMD stopped making them (or at least
    really cut back) fairly shortly after the AM2 chips started showing
    up.

    The X2 3800+ seems especially tough to come by, most places I've
    checked are sold out and I kind of doubt that they'll be getting any
    more (or at least not in any appreciable quantity). the 4200+ and
    higher are available if you look around a bit though. Prices are
    about the same as AM2 chips. You can find one here:

    http://www.anitec.ca/product/3783/amd_athlon64_x2_4200+_2.2_ghz_dual_core_socket_939_processor/

    $228 CDN for the 4200+

    Personally I doubt that the prices are going to drop much on these
    chips any time soon. The old supply/demand thing is kicking in, and
    supply is very limited with basically no future planned supply.
    Basically until these chips start showing up second-hand on eBay, they
    probably won't be any cheaper.
    --
    Tony Hill

    Tony Hill, Nov 28, 2006
  5. Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    Tony Hill wrote:

    > Personally I doubt that the prices are going to drop much on these
    > chips any time soon. The old supply/demand thing is kicking in, and
    > supply is very limited with basically no future planned supply.
    > Basically until these chips start showing up second-hand on eBay, they
    > probably won't be any cheaper.

    Or maybe in ott.forsale.computing even? :)

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Nov 28, 2006
  6. Yousuf Khan

    Guest

    The 1MB per core 939 X2s are no longer available first hand (I know, I
    was recently trying to buy one) except at ridiculous prices of £400 or
    more (where high demand + low supply = high prices!). Several websites
    claim to have 4400+/4800+ processors, or to be able to source them in a
    matter of days/weeks, but when contacted admit they can't. I've just
    bought a 939 X2 4800+ from eBay for £216 - slightly more than the
    about £200 first-hand price, IIRC. (Serves me right for not being a
    bit quicker purchasing!) There were a few more still for auction there
    on Sunday.

    The 4800+s appear to have been first to sell out, followed in the last
    couple of weeks by the 4400+s, and now it looks like the 4600+s and
    4200+s might be beginning to vanish from the shelves. I haven't been
    keeping track of the FX models, they're just too expensive.

    James McLaughlin.

    , Nov 28, 2006
  7. Yousuf Khan

    Cal Vanize Guest

    wrote:

    > The 1MB per core 939 X2s are no longer available first hand (I know, I
    > was recently trying to buy one) except at ridiculous prices of £400 or
    > more (where high demand + low supply = high prices!). Several websites
    > claim to have 4400+/4800+ processors, or to be able to source them in a
    > matter of days/weeks, but when contacted admit they can't. I've just
    > bought a 939 X2 4800+ from eBay for £216 - slightly more than the
    > about £200 first-hand price, IIRC. (Serves me right for not being a
    > bit quicker purchasing!) There were a few more still for auction there
    > on Sunday.
    >
    > The 4800+s appear to have been first to sell out, followed in the last
    > couple of weeks by the 4400+s, and now it looks like the 4600+s and
    > 4200+s might be beginning to vanish from the shelves. I haven't been
    > keeping track of the FX models, they're just too expensive.
    >
    > James McLaughlin.

    Excuse me for pointing out the facts. I know it gets in teh way of some
    threads.

    There are a LOT of 939 1MB per core processors available. The following
    are examples from newegg:

    Opteron 165 Denmark - $156
    Opteron 170 Denmark - $185
    Opteron 175 Denmark - $228
    Opteron 180 Denmark - $300
    Opteron 185 Denmakr - $415
    Athlon 64 FX-60 Toledo - $460

    All prices above are with $00.01 of the actual advertised price as of
    0100 GMT 29 November 2006 from newegg.com.

    Just to be sure of stock, I placed an order for 1 each of the Opty 165,
    170 and 175 processors. All these were in stock with the order being in
    the que for shipping before I cancelled the order.

    Can't say what the status is this exact minute, but there were at least
    one of each when I tried.

    FYI, I bought a X2 4200+ a couple of months ago for $190. IMO, the 170
    Denmark would do as well for about the same price and probably overclock
    better.

    Cal Vanize, Nov 29, 2006
  8. Yousuf Khan

    Ed Light Guest

    > Opteron 165 Denmark - $156
    > Opteron 170 Denmark - $185
    > Opteron 175 Denmark - $228
    > Opteron 180 Denmark - $300
    > Opteron 185 Denmakr - $415
    > Athlon 64 FX-60 Toledo - $460

    > FYI, I bought a X2 4200+ a couple of months ago for $190. IMO, the 170
    > Denmark would do as well for about the same price and probably overclock
    > better.

    I read a few the user reviews for the 165 and one person got to 1.7 gigs at
    only 1.4v.

    That could mean clock at 300, memory set to 133 for a true speed of 192.

    --
    Ed Light

    Bring the Troops Home:
    http://bringthemhomenow.org
    http://antiwar.com

    Send spam to the FTC at

    Thanks, robots.

    Ed Light, Nov 29, 2006
  9. Yousuf Khan

    Cal Vanize Guest

    Ed Light wrote:
    >>Opteron 165 Denmark - $156
    >>Opteron 170 Denmark - $185
    >>Opteron 175 Denmark - $228
    >>Opteron 180 Denmark - $300
    >>Opteron 185 Denmakr - $415
    >>Athlon 64 FX-60 Toledo - $460

    >>FYI, I bought a X2 4200+ a couple of months ago for $190. IMO, the 170
    >>Denmark would do as well for about the same price and probably overclock
    >>better.
    >>

    > I read a few the user reviews for the 165 and one person got to 1.7 gigs at
    > only 1.4v.
    >
    > That could mean clock at 300, memory set to 133 for a true speed of 192.

    That's strange. The basic clock for the 165 is already 1.8g. So why
    would one clock it to 1.7g? The user reviews on newegg.com seem to tell
    a different story.

    You sad that the sources for 1MB per core X2 socket 939 processors were
    drying up and that they were not available. I provided source
    information.

    So is your topic related to finding processors or underclocking?

    Cal Vanize, Nov 29, 2006
  10. Yousuf Khan

    Ed Light Guest

    "Cal Vanize" <> wrote in message

    > Ed Light wrote:
    >>>Opteron 165 Denmark - $156
    >>>Opteron 170 Denmark - $185
    >>>Opteron 175 Denmark - $228
    >>>Opteron 180 Denmark - $300
    >>>Opteron 185 Denmakr - $415
    >>>Athlon 64 FX-60 Toledo - $460

    >>>FYI, I bought a X2 4200+ a couple of months ago for $190. IMO, the 170
    >>>Denmark would do as well for about the same price and probably overclock
    >>>better.
    >>>

    >> I read a few the user reviews for the 165 and one person got to 1.7 gigs
    >> at only 1.4v.

    Oops I meant 2.7 gigs.

    --
    Ed Light

    Bring the Troops Home:
    http://bringthemhomenow.org
    http://antiwar.com

    Send spam to the FTC at

    Thanks, robots.

    Ed Light, Nov 29, 2006
  11. Yousuf Khan

    Ed Light Guest

    "Cal Vanize" <> wrote in message

    > Ed Light wrote:
    >>>Opteron 165 Denmark - $156
    >>>Opteron 170 Denmark - $185
    >>>Opteron 175 Denmark - $228
    >>>Opteron 180 Denmark - $300
    >>>Opteron 185 Denmakr - $415
    >>>Athlon 64 FX-60 Toledo - $460

    >>>FYI, I bought a X2 4200+ a couple of months ago for $190. IMO, the 170
    >>>Denmark would do as well for about the same price and probably overclock
    >>>better.
    >>>

    >> I read a few the user reviews for the 165 and one person got to 1.7 gigs
    >> at only 1.4v.

    Oops I meant 2.7 gigs.

    --
    Ed Light

    Bring the Troops Home:
    http://bringthemhomenow.org
    http://antiwar.com

    Send spam to the FTC at

    Thanks, robots.

    Ed Light, Nov 29, 2006
  12. Yousuf Khan

    Cal Vanize Guest

    Ed Light wrote:

    > "Cal Vanize" <> wrote in message

    >>>I read a few the user reviews for the 165 and one person got to 1.7 gigs
    >>>at only 1.4v.

    > Oops I meant 2.7 gigs.

    I'd say 50% overclocking isn't terrible.

    Cal Vanize, Nov 30, 2006