Old Scan Comments

Reaction score
Firsty I used scan whe it first opened its doors.....The prices were very good the info on the products was ok and the range of products for the IT people was good, also the new web ordering system is good. But since then they have got a little too big for there boots. Sales on the telephone is getting worse. No longer do people have enough knowledge of what they are talking about, but the fact that they are hurrying you all time is quite off putting. The worst thing is the tech support and returns. This is were a company goes from good to suberb in my book. You ring sit on hold and you wait, wait and wait. When you do get through most of the tech support people can barely speak a word of english. Don't get me wrong but if I have to explain things to someone like a child 3 or 4 times then I'm going to get irritated. Also it takes them an age to get stuff tested and returned to you.

So scan, to some up in the words of a teachers report, "Started well, put didn't pull it off, must try harder"

Reaction score
I would have to agree with you about Scan FontBurn.....

I've spent most part of the day trying to get a 128m so-dimm rma'd because they sent me the wrong one. I ordered a pc66 one for my celery laptop, so they shipped a pc-133 ... guess what... it doesn't work :(

Sitting here, Friday evening, with no rma number, and no way of getting anything done prior to monday.

They suck.... think i'll avoid them in the future.....

m

Reaction score
ahhhh scan

:angry: the slowest most unhelpful company i have ever dealt with, Please never ever deal with these guys.
mess my order up 3 times.
miss sold goods.they sold 3200 rimm rebadged to 4200. which I had to tell them,(i know this as i peel there sticker of and samsungs sticker said it was 3200:eek:
then they charged me an other £118 for the right memory and did not send it. 3 weeks later and i am still waiting.
They may be cheap but they are not a nice company.go to someone else.
PLEASE
XXXXXXX:crazy:

Reaction score
Scan :(((

Scan are possibly the worst company I have ever used! I stopped using them last year but previously had bought most of my PC parts from them.

Everytime there was some sort of problem:

1. The order hadn't been picked(forgotten to)
2. Delivered the wrong parts
3. Delivered an Athlon 900 and said it was a 1200mhz
4. Took over a month to test a CPU before telling me that "It's ok it's only chipped a bit on the core". It wasn't chipped when I sent it to them!

I ended up threatening them with watchdog TV program before I had an apology from the 2 guys who own it.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER use them

OK, rant over ;)

Reaction score
I always liked the today only section on scan, but recently it has got less and less good, they are never really worthwhile because with P+P it is equally as expensive as everywhere else.

I do still like Scan though because, their product range is wide and varied, I have there are very few shops who stock the stuff that I am interested in, but scan usualy has the kit in, and if not they will often try and get it in for you.

As with many other online stores scan has got worse with age but they still have an edge in product range and diversity.

Reaction score
I agree that Scan have been getting worse.

I used to be able to place an order and actually get it delivered next day. Now, however next day delivery seems to mean when they remember to pick your order and whenever City-Link pass by to pick it up, meaning indeterminate delays in delivery that you pay anything from £7 to £15 for.

I still like Scan's product range and Today Only, despite the repetition of items every week, but mostly I like their prices.

However, if they don't improve speed in handling orders I may start going to other shops such as Aria.co.uk more.

3 out of 5, OK needs improving.

Reaction score
scan computers, bolton - beware!

scan.co.uk - bad experience

yes, scan may be cheap but their customer service is dire - either on-line or if - as I did - you waste many hours driving to bolton and back to try and sort out your problem. I bought a motherboard which gave me 5 months of problems, during which time scan told me that the problem was with me and my pc. Eventually, the board was diagnosed as faulty, and repaired by scan. In the meantime, as i could afford no more wasted offline time, i bought another mobo from scan, which works fine. so when i left the faulty one to be repaired, i said i wanted a refund if found to be faulty, but even though it was, they wouldnt refund me so i now have two. On top of this, i have had 5 months of having to use a friend's pc, got way behind with project work, made many wasted trips to bolton (scan hq), and so on. if the goods are fine, great, but if not, you've backed a loser......

the phone no's given for tech support also take a long time to be answered, the "experts" make one suggestion and give you a number to call "IF" their suggestion doesn't work; you ring back, eventually get someone else, and have to start the whole explanation process again! very very frustrating and not worth the savings (if any, given extreme postal costs) that you may have made. I won't be buying from them again and nor will any of my colleagues & friends, who have all seen my experience. I even threatened legal action, having taken advice from local trading standards, and am tempted to pursue this, although as the mobo cost £85 , i feel that further effort and cost may not be rewarded (but i don't want to be rolled over by scan like this!). beware, i say again.....

Reaction score
They call themselves a component supplier ?

Placed a near £800 order with Scan 14 days ago for components to build a state-of-the-art P4 system with Dual-DDR (Canterwood). Nothing unusual about the components - all mainstream manufacturers with excellent supply and performance reputations.

When I placed my order, the only item (of the 12 I ordered) out of stock was the DDR memory, which I was advised would be available with 2 working days, and my order would be dispatched as soon as it arrived.

I went away on business for a week, fully expecting the system components to be delivered in the meantime. But no .....

I returned to find that my order had been further delayed because additional items had fallen "out of stock" while Scan were waiting for the DDR memory to be delivered ! In the past week I have recieved no less than 3 emails to inform me that components have been falling out of stock in turn !!! First the motherboard, then the keyboard, then the FDD..... and so it goes on !!!

Basically - just so everyone knows - if you place a big order with Scan - they will TAKE PAYMENT FROM YOUR CREDIT CARD IMMEDIATELY, BUT WILL NOT RESERVE STOCK THAT YOU HAVE PAID FOR WHILE THEY WAIT FOR DELIVERY OF ONE "OUT OF STOCK" ITEM. THEY WILL SELL YOUR COMPONENTS TO SOMEONE ELSE.

I haven't got to the bottom of this yet, mainly because I haven't seen a single component from Scan as I write this. And I am not hopeful that I will. If their database is incapable of reserving stock for an order, then I guess it could be 6 months or more before all 12 of the items I have ordered will coincidentally all be in stock on the same day ! An then or course, I'm relying on someone noticing the fact !

Try eBuyer, dabs, Microdirect, CCL, Watford...... in fact try Woolworths b4 you give Scan your credit card number.

Reaction score
I really wish that I had read this review before purchasing at 'scam'.co.uk. I ordered a floppy, a HD, a 3.2g P4 and a CDRW. What I received was the floppy drive and the HD. Obviously I called them straight away and kept being told that they would look into it and the manager would get back to me at a stated time. She never did so I called after each stated time and asked for her again, after the fourth succesive time I managed to talk to her and was asked to stop calling them as she had other customers to deal with as well as recruitment and why should I have any kind of priority???????????????? OMG we started shouting at each other for a while and she said in the end that she would call me back that afternoon after talking to the packer in the warehouse.

I had also explained to her that the dispatch note that itemised the products had initials next to each item I received apart from my missing items, which to me would seem pretty conclusive that they were missing or not packed. On top of this, the way that the goods were packed would make it difficult (if not impossible) to fit the missing items in the wrapping particularly if they were boxed.

She left a message on my machine at 18.40 that night saying that they were definately packed and I should recheck my packing (bubble wrap) and make sure I just happened not to notice them!!!!!!!

As far as 'scam' are concerened they took my money and sent me what I've ordered and thats the end of the matter in their eyes.

Needless to say it isnt the end of the matter for me and I intend to do whatever it takes through whatever legal channels are available to get my money back off this dishonest, rude unprofessional tinpot company.

Let me repeat what someone has already stated NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER!!!!!! buy from these people.

Reaction score
scan

I returned a faulty motherboard to them and they then claimed I overclocked it, set the voltages too high and they then refused to replace it! Somewhat bizarre as I

- Had no intention/need for overclocking (i consider myself an experienced user)
- Had this board for barely a month (used for 2-3 hours a day)
- Ran the board at default factory settings (proof could be found from the bios chip settings)

The only available general manager then insisted that it must have been damaged by royal mail and that i take the matter up with them. How can royal mail burn out a board in transit? Not only does the management lack basic computing knowledge but showed little willingness to listen.

Instead of accepting responsibility for selling me a dodgy motherboard they attempt to shift the blame onto the customer!

Avoid this retailer like the plague!

Reaction score
Re: Scan

Avoid them like the plague, I bought a Kiss dvd player off them, £410:00.
This thing doesnt do a thing it is supposed to & locks up if you so much as look at it funny.
I took it back & was told "we dont deal with that, youll have to take it up with Kiss". Found they are based in Denmark. Back to the shop, "cant help you mate, you've not got the box". Eventually they agreed to take the dvd player Back & test it & would let me know what was gonna happen. I rang them asking for my money back, "We Still need to test it & then if it's faulty, Decide how much to refund you". HELLO, These guys are just rip off merchants, once theyve sold you something they do not care if it works or not, I have found on their website that they already know about some of the problems with this dvd player, yet they will still gladly sell it to you & then refuse to deal with you after they have youre cash. I will not use them anymore. Bandits!

Reaction score
Re: Scan

I have used Scan a few times, but not online. (The queue is always long for the sales counter.)

Only had 1 faulty product, which was replaced staight away with a new one.

Ask a Question