    Anyone have an idea? (I hope I explained it clearly!) THANKS!
    --
    Candace

    Candace, Nov 20, 2009

  2. Candace

    Ronx Guest

    Open the online website in FrontPage and check the files - it sounds like
    you have index.htm and index.html, but one is your new home page and the
    other is the old. It also looks as if the old page extension has precedence
    in the server default pages configuration.

    if this is the case, delete the old home page, and rename the new with the
    other extension. Then do the same (renaming) on your local copy of the web.

    Note that you may be using default.htm and default.html for home pages, or
    some other combination - compare the files on the server with the files in
    the local copy.

    --
    Ron Symonds
    Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)

    Ronx, Nov 20, 2009

  3. Candace

    Candace Guest

    How do I check the files in the online website? (Sorry, I just have a copy of
    the software - that doesn't mean I know what I'm doing. The fact I actually
    created a website with what little I know still amazes me.) The local copy of
    my website shows the new home page as index.htm (all the new pages are .htm).
    I can't find the old page anywhere. Where (and how) do I look for it? Thanks.
    --
    Candace

    Candace, Nov 22, 2009
  4. Candace

    Ronx Guest

    If the remote site (on the server) has FrontPage extensions, then open
    FrontPage
    File->Open Web (or File->Open Web if using FrontPage 2003)
    In the dialogue that opens, type in the URL for your web site - the same URL
    you publish to.

    Check the file name and extension for the home page - the page with the
    house icon.

    If it is index.html, then right-click on index.htm and choose "Set as home
    page" - this may give a prompt to change some hyperlinks, say NO.

    Rename index.html to index-old.html. This will stop the server thinking this
    is the home page. If you are asked to update any hyperlinks, say NO.

    Both these next renames may give a warning about renaming the home page and
    breaking links - click OK.

    Rename index.htm to index.html - again say no to updating links.
    Rename this page back to index.htm - this time agree to update hyperlinks.

    The result of all this renaming is that the home page will be index.htm, and
    all pages should using this as the home page.
    Finally open the web browser, and browse to your web site - use a URL
    similar to http://www.example.com
    Do not add /index.htm. This checks that index.htm is on the list of default
    pages for the server. If you get a 404 error (unlikely, but it can happen),
    then rename the home page to index.html, and allow all links to update. You
    will also have to rename the home page in your local copy of the site.

    Ronx, Nov 22, 2009
  5. Candace

    Tina Clarke Guest

    "Candace" <> wrote in message
    >I have FrontPage 2002. I reworked my whole website although the home page
    >had
    > a few changes. Everything seemed to remained linked correctly, the browser
    > preview was perfect, published fine, but now my online website view shows
    > the
    > old home page. If I navigate to the other pages, they are the new
    > versions.
    > If I navigate back to home page from any of the other pages, I get the new
    > home page. Where is this old home page coming from? It's not to be found
    > in
    > the navigation view. I've attempted some things like publishing the whole
    > thing (rather than separate pages), emptying temporary files and cache
    > files.
    > Anyone have an idea? (I hope I explained it clearly!) THANKS!
    > --
    > Candace

    What is the link to your website?

    Tina
    Expression Web Birthday Giveaway 20th - 30th Nov
    http://www.frontpage-to-expression.com/expression-web-giveaway.html
    Enter to be in with a chance of winning EW 3.0 plus more

    Tina Clarke, Nov 22, 2009
  6. Candace

    Candace Guest

    www.hyattindexing.com

    I got as far as File>Open>typed in URL...how or where does one check for the
    file name and extension? Yeah, I know, getting stuck at step three when there
    are a whole page of more steps is not a good sign! Thanks for your help and
    patience.
    --
    Candace

    Candace, Nov 23, 2009
  7. Candace

    Ronx Guest

    File->Open Web
    Type in the url - for example http://www.example.com (use your own domain)
    Click Open
    log in to the server - a dialogue will open requesting your userid and
    password - the same as you use for publishing

    Fill in the fields and click OK
    When the web site opens, switch to Folders View

    In the list of files look for index.htm and/or index.html

    The rest is copied from my previous post:

    Ronx, Nov 23, 2009
  8. Candace

    Candace Guest

    When I File>Open, put URL, click "Ok" the website is there although I don't
    see what the difference is between the before opening web view and this view.
    How do I "log into server" where is the dialogue box? Thanks.
    --
    Candace

    Candace, Nov 24, 2009
  9. Candace

    Ronx Guest

    Do not use File->Open - this will only open a single file. Use File->Open
    Web

    What URL are you typing in?

    Ronx, Nov 24, 2009
  10. Candace

    Candace Guest

    Good Lord, you can't imagine how confusing this is to me! But I think I did
    it, and it's working, but I don't think I followed your steps correctly. When
    I got to the step to change the index.htm to index.html, it wouldn't let me
    stating there was already one by that name. So I just deleted the
    index-old.html. I may have screwed up, but the old home page is gone and the
    new one is working fine!!!!! (I'm trying not to hold my breath in case I
    messed something up and haven't realized it yet.) Thank you for your help! If
    it blows up or something, I might come back for more advice. :) THANK YOU!!!
    --
    Candace

    Candace, Nov 25, 2009