    Got a disc I'd like to try it on, but the pay version costs almost as
    much as a new hard drive!

    , Feb 9, 2006

  2. Steven Burn Guest

    <> wrote in message news:...
    > Does anyone know if there are older, free versions of Spinrite around.
    > Got a disc I'd like to try it on, but the pay version costs almost as
    > much as a new hard drive!

    There's never been a free version of Spinrite ;o)

    --
    Regards

    Steven Burn
    Ur I.T. Mate Group
    www.it-mate.co.uk

    Keeping it FREE!

    Steven Burn, Feb 9, 2006

  3. Doc Guest

    wrote in news::

    > Does anyone know if there are older, free versions of Spinrite around.
    > Got a disc I'd like to try it on, but the pay version costs almost as
    > much as a new hard drive!

    If the 'cost' of a new hard drive is the only value you attach to Spinrite
    and is all you stand to lose .............. go buy a new hard drive.

    Doc, Feb 9, 2006
  4. Chris Lee Guest

    In article <lvDGf.137855$>, postmaster@[127.0.0.1]
    says...

    > wrote in news::
    >
    >> Does anyone know if there are older, free versions of Spinrite
    >> around.
    >> Got a disc I'd like to try it on, but the pay version costs almost
    >> as
    >> much as a new hard drive!

    >If the 'cost' of a new hard drive is the only value you attach to
    >Spinrite
    >and is all you stand to lose .............. go buy a new hard drive.

    I'll say don't even *BOTHER* with software like Spinrite. If you've got a
    drive that's acting screwy, and the sofware from the maker of the drive won't
    fix things,software like Spinrite is nothing but a temporary fix if that.

    You're going to totally lose the drive sooner or later. In other words, it's
    days are numbered.

    Chris Lee, Feb 9, 2006
  5. Doc Guest

    Chris Lee <> wrote in

    > I'll say don't even *BOTHER* with software like Spinrite. If you've
    > got a drive that's acting screwy, and the sofware from the maker of
    > the drive won't fix things,software like Spinrite is nothing but a
    > temporary fix if that.

    If you have valuable data that you NEED to recover off of a failing
    drive, then SpinRite is *the best*.

    > You're going to totally lose the drive sooner or later. In other
    > words, it's days are numbered.

    Agree totally.

    Doc, Feb 9, 2006
  6. Tom Guest

    On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 22:01:39 GMT, Doc <postmaster@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:

    >Chris Lee <> wrote in
    >

    >> I'll say don't even *BOTHER* with software like Spinrite. If you've
    >> got a drive that's acting screwy, and the sofware from the maker of
    >> the drive won't fix things,software like Spinrite is nothing but a
    >> temporary fix if that.
    >>

    >If you have valuable data that you NEED to recover off of a failing
    >drive, then SpinRite is *the best*.
    >

    >> You're going to totally lose the drive sooner or later. In other
    >> words, it's days are numbered.
    >>

    >Agree totally.

    I noticed v5 is posted in alt.binaries.misc

    Tom

    Tom, Feb 10, 2006

    Doc wrote:

    > Chris Lee <> wrote in
    >

    >>I'll say don't even *BOTHER* with software like Spinrite. If you've
    >>got a drive that's acting screwy, and the sofware from the maker of
    >>the drive won't fix things,software like Spinrite is nothing but a
    >>temporary fix if that.
    >>

    > If you have valuable data that you NEED to recover off of a failing
    > drive, then SpinRite is *the best*.

    THAT was my plan!

    >>You're going to totally lose the drive sooner or later. In other
    >>words, it's days are numbered.
    >>

    > Agree totally.

    , Feb 14, 2006

    Tom wrote:

    > On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 22:01:39 GMT, Doc <postmaster@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:
    >

    >>Chris Lee <> wrote in
    >>

    >>>I'll say don't even *BOTHER* with software like Spinrite. If you've
    >>>got a drive that's acting screwy, and the sofware from the maker of
    >>>the drive won't fix things,software like Spinrite is nothing but a
    >>>temporary fix if that.
    >>>

    >>If you have valuable data that you NEED to recover off of a failing
    >>drive, then SpinRite is *the best*.
    >>

    >>>You're going to totally lose the drive sooner or later. In other
    >>>words, it's days are numbered.
    >>>

    >>Agree totally.

    > I noticed v5 is posted in alt.binaries.misc
    >
    > Tom

    Thanks, Tom.

    Will check it out.

    , Feb 14, 2006