    OL2003 has never worked since.

    I have 36 hours into resolving this, now, and would be grateful for any help
    anyone can offer.

    Guest, Oct 15, 2006

  2. Does taskmanager still show an outlook.exe present?

    Have you tried reinstalling?

    "slowsteadystudy" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    William Lefkovics, Oct 15, 2006

    Itr shuts down cleanly, no trace, and I did try re-installing, after my
    original note, and still this morning, up and down....

    On my new data-less profile it shuts down much faster, as it does not scan
    files, first.

    Many thanks for the help... Any further suggestions.... 2007?

    sss

    Guest, Oct 15, 2006

    Hi William:

    Thanks for the reply.

    I tried to respond earlier, before the lunch meeting I had, but once I hit
    "send" this bulletin board said there was an error,and I would heve to post
    again.... I'm not actually paranoid, but......

    Yes, I re-installed, and no, it is not running in the background; when it
    shuts down, it simply vanishes....

    Before I created the new profile, it would take a while to review the PST
    files, because of the prior shutdown, but with the new profile, with no data
    in the files, it is almost instantaneous.

    I am hampered by lack of documentation....

    By scanning and fixing the files, and then by creating a new profile with no
    data, I have established that it does not seem to be a corrupt profile, or
    corrupt data, and the initial issue with the "....PDF...." add-in seems to
    imply that there is a corrupt add-in, and I thought that re-installing OL
    2003 would solve that issue (It doesn't stay up long enough to go to "tools".)

    Maybe if I simply delete all traces, and re-install fresh? (I could also
    click my heels 3 times, but I would rather identify and address a real issue!)

    Would the 2007 beta be a workable alternative at this stage?

    Many thanks for your help.

    sss

    Guest, Oct 15, 2006

    Two more things....

    Opening in safe mode makes no difference.

    When I open and watch processes in task manager, it starts with 5,608K
    memory used, then once I select a profile, it goes to12000+,then 15,388 then
    19,998K, then stops.

    It stops pretty much as soon as it hits the 19998K memory size.

    In safe mode, the memory used is smaller, but the issue is the same.

    sss

    Guest, Oct 16, 2006

    Guest, Oct 16, 2006

    One more note.... when I set up my new profile, I used one POP3 server, and
    the test message made it back to me, though I had to use web-mail to see it.

    jw

    Guest, Oct 16, 2006

    Guest, Oct 16, 2006

    deleted and reloaded Office, created a new profile, opened Outlook in safe
    mode, (it finally stayed up) then deleted all the add-ins...

    Took a long time...

    Why is there so little documentaiotn?

    Guest, Oct 27, 2006