office 2007 dialogs very slow :(

Discussion in 'Microsoft Word Document Management' started by Sergei Shelukhin, Jan 3, 2007.

  1. I recently had word 2007 installed and one thing that puzzled me was
    that open file/save file dialogs are very slow.
    It takes 10-15 seconds for Word to show the contents of the folder.
    There are few files in my working folders, so the file count is not an
    issue.
    File manager and dialogs in other programs show the same folders
    normally too.

    I checked it with filemon and that's what I found out.
    Turns out every time I browse to a folder word
    queries the whole subfolder tree with all the sub-subfolders,
    making many queries to each subfoilder, such as this:

    18:23:59 WINWORD.EXE:4168 OPEN
    D:\workplace\current\apps\GDShell\gacinstaller\bin\ SUCCESS
    Open Directory Access: All
    18:23:59 WINWORD.EXE:4168 DIRECTORY
    D:\workplace\current\apps\GDShell\gacinstaller\bin\ SUCCESS
    FileBothDirectoryInformation:
    *
    18:23:59 WINWORD.EXE:4168 QUERY
    INFORMATION D:\workplace\current\apps\GDShell\gacinstaller\bin\
    SUCCESS FileNameInformation
    18:23:59 WINWORD.EXE:4168 DIRECTORY
    D:\workplace\current\apps\GDShell\gacinstaller\bin\ SUCCESS
    FileBothDirectoryInformation
    18:23:59 WINWORD.EXE:4168 QUERY
    INFORMATION D:\workplace\current\apps\GDShell\gacinstaller\bin\
    SUCCESS FileNameInformation
    18:23:59 WINWORD.EXE:4168 QUERY
    INFORMATION D:\workplace\current\apps\GDShell\gacinstaller\bin\
    SUCCESS FileNameInformation
    18:23:59 WINWORD.EXE:4168 QUERY
    INFORMATION D:\workplace\current\apps\GDShell\gacinstaller\bin\
    SUCCESS FileNameInformation
    18:23:59 WINWORD.EXE:4168 DIRECTORY
    D:\workplace\current\apps\GDShell\gacinstaller\bin\ NO
    MORE FILES FileBothDirectoryInformation
    18:23:59 WINWORD.EXE:4168 CLOSE
    D:\workplace\current\apps\GDShell\gacinstaller\bin\ SUCCESS

    This is a part of ~3000 entries I got when I opened
    D:\workplace\current\apps\ folder.

    Plus, there are a bunch of failed (file not found) queries to files
    with strange names such as

    18:24:01 WINWORD.EXE:4168 OPEN
    D:\workplace\current\:Docf_ QebiesnrMkudrfcoIaamtykdDa:$DATA FILE
    NOT FOUND Options: Open Access: All

    Wtf is this?! How do I turn off this crap?

    Sergei Shelukhin, Jan 3, 2007

  2. You can't.

    Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
    --------------
    http://pschmid.net
    ***
    Office 2007 RTM Issues: http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/11/13/80
    Office 2007 Beta 2 Technical Refresh (B2TR):
    http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/09/18/43
    ***
    Customize Office 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/customize
    RibbonCustomizer Add-In: http://pschmid.net/office2007/ribboncustomizer
    OneNote 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/onenote
    ***
    Subscribe to my Office 2007 blog: http://pschmid.net/blog/feed

    Patrick Schmid [MVP], Jan 3, 2007

  3. Ok, actually you can.
    I am not 100% sure if file access and slowness are related, and too
    lazy to check, but the slowness disappeared when I removed Google
    Desktop thingie that got automatically installed with something (I got
    Office 2007 way after GD, and GD after Office 2003 so it may have been
    moved from previous version of Office or smth).
    I hope that helps if anyone else has this problem :)

    Sergei Shelukhin, Jan 8, 2007