    --
    Do You Fee Like A Hostage To Your Computer?
    R&D Internet Associates is who you need.

    robinb, Jul 22, 2009

  2. robinb

    robinb Guest

    also should I have it checked To have Windows choose the best paging file
    size, by clicking System managed size? and if yes does this bypass the size
    I put in and determine its own size for both mim and max?

    robin

    robinb, Jul 22, 2009

  3. Hi robinb,

    Virtual Memory in Windows XP
    <http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php>

    Problems with Virtual Memory
    http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php

    Remenber to click in the third line to update the page in Aumha page.

    Using a partition for your swap file Vista
    <http://www.windvis.com/using-a-partition-for-your-swap-file>
    -=-

    Ǝиçεl, Jul 22, 2009
  4. robinb

    robinb Guest

    engel I know
    believe me I have researched it but I wanted some feedback from others in
    here if I set it correctly
    robin

    robinb, Jul 22, 2009
  5. robinb

    Don Carlson Guest

    Robin,

    I haven't looked at this on my XP machine in a long time. I discovered that
    when I went in there that I had it personally set to "custom" and the
    difference that I had it set to was - high was double of the low. I don't
    remember when I did this but my computer only has 2GB and it works just
    fine. Since you brought this up I decided to set it to "System managed size"
    and I don't see anything different with performance or functionality.

    I did write down what they were and maybe something will come up to have me
    change back to custom but for now I will let the system handle it.

    --
    Don

    Don Carlson, Jul 22, 2009
  6. The best feedback you will find it in the right place.

    Try XP newsgroups
    <http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage&cat=en_US_6601d291-cdf9-431a-8374-a8037de637eb&lang=en&cr=US>

    You will find 21 different newsgroups in XP
    -=-

    Ǝиçεl, Jul 22, 2009
  7. robinb

    robinb Guest

    that is what I did I doubled the high of low
    all my machines are set this way but they have a gig. this was the first
    time I put 3gigs on and was wondering if what I did for the "high" was ok
    then on the internet I read that you can set it to system managed size and I
    was wondering if it takes the custom levels or puts its own values on

    funny though my other machine which I bought with 3gigs in it, has it set at
    2046 and the high 4092. It actually came this way but it is a dual 2 core
    so I am wondering since it is a dual 2 core if that makes a difference.

    If it is better to set it at System manage size- then that is the way I
    would go but I would like to hear from others especially Bill what he thinks
    it should be set at

    thanks
    robin

    robinb, Jul 22, 2009
  8. robinb

    robinb Guest

    ok I just set both of them to System managed size- and am going to see if
    there is any differences in performance. I have no clue why the new
    computer which had 3gigs was set so low to begin with. It's amounts are more
    for 2gigs not 3gigs
    So far I do not see any but time will tell
    I can always set it back to custom if needed
    I read around the link that engle put and it seems that most have it set to
    system managed size so I will go that route and see how it does

    robinb, Jul 22, 2009
  9. robinb

    Don Carlson Guest

    Like I stated I did customize at one point for some reason and I don't know
    why I did it. My computer is only 2GB and was set as you stated below as
    2046 and high 4092 and it is just a P4 3.40 processor.

    Today with the drive capacities and the amount of memory we run I don't
    think that we have to manually do it I think that "system managed" should
    work just fine as an average user.

    --
    Don

    Don Carlson, Jul 22, 2009
  10. robinb wrote:
    >I just added memory to my computer
    > It is xp pro sp3 dual core
    > it had 1gig and I added 2 gig making it 3gig
    > I upped the virtual memory to 4605
    > max 9210
    > 4605 was the recommended by xp
    > i doubled it for the max
    > the maximum i am not sure of if it is correct so i am asking any of you here
    > what you think
    > I looked all over on the net and all agree on the minimum but I cannot find
    > a thing about what to set the maximum

    Windows will only use as much RAM as it needs, even if you had a Terabyte of RAM Windows would
    not even "see" it. Fussing with VM settings gets you into the fore of overclocking, etc.

    Add the new RAM sticks, hope for the best.

    --
    Randy
    <http://msmvps.com/blogs/siljaline/default.aspx>

    Randy Knobloch, Jul 23, 2009
  11. robinb

    robinb Guest

    btw Vista by default is set to System Managed Size
    robin

    robinb, Jul 23, 2009
  12. robinb

    robinb Guest

    btw you can get a free pagefile monitor at
    http://www.dougknox.com/
    Click on win XP Utilities
    Scroll all the way down till you see
    XP Page File Monitoring Utility

    I tested it out and it does work
    robin

    robinb, Jul 23, 2009
  13. robinb

    Don Carlson Guest

    Thanks Robin I will take a look at that.

    --
    Don

    Don Carlson, Jul 24, 2009