Odd list of unused file extensions

Discussion in 'Windows Vista Performance' started by kmichaelf, Nov 6, 2008.

  1. kmichaelf

    kmichaelf Guest

    Running CCleaner on the registry it picked up a series of unused file
    extensions. I understand that these can be left over from uninstalled
    programs. But this list looked off because it appears to be portions of a
    text section. For example:
    Unused File Extension # HKCR\#
    Unused File Extension 5469 HKCR\5469
    Unused File Extension added HKCR\added
    Unused File Extension after HKCR\after
    Unused File Extension also HKCR\also
    Unused File Extension an HKCR\an
    Unused File Extension and HKCR\and
    Unused File Extension are HKCR\are
    Unused File Extension be HKCR\be
    Unused File Extension better HKCR\better
    Unused File Extension but HKCR\but
    Unused File Extension by HKCR\by
    Unused File Extension change HKCR\change
    Unused File Extension changed HKCR\changed
    Unused File Extension coordination HKCR\coordination
    Unused File Extension DefaultIcon HKCR\DefaultIcon
    Unused File Extension extension HKCR\extension
    Unused File Extension far HKCR\far
    Unused File Extension file. HKCR\file.
    Unused File Extension following HKCR\following
    Unused File Extension for HKCR\for
    Unused File Extension future HKCR\future
    Unused File Extension help HKCR\help
    Unused File Extension HPSender.HPSDPError.4= HKCR\HPSender.HPSDPError.4=
    Unused File Extension idl HKCR\idl
    Unused File Extension in HKCR\in
    Unused File Extension install HKCR\install
    Unused File Extension installer. HKCR\installer.
    Unused File Extension invasive HKCR\invasive
    Unused File Extension keywords HKCR\keywords
    Unused File Extension leaves HKCR\leaves
    Unused File Extension lines HKCR\lines
    Unused File Extension Minimally HKCR\Minimally
    Unused File Extension more HKCR\more
    Unused File Extension must HKCR\must
    Unused File Extension Note HKCR\Note
    Unused File Extension NOTE: HKCR\NOTE:
    Unused File Extension of HKCR\of
    Unused File Extension OISbmpfile HKCR\OISbmpfile
    Unused File Extension OISemffile HKCR\OISemffile
    Unused File Extension OISgiffile HKCR\OISgiffile
    Unused File Extension OISjpegfile HKCR\OISjpegfile
    Unused File Extension OISpngfile HKCR\OISpngfile
    Unused File Extension OIStiffile HKCR\OIStiffile
    Unused File Extension OISwmffile HKCR\OISwmffile
    Unused File Extension one HKCR\one
    Unused File Extension probably HKCR\probably
    Unused File Extension problem HKCR\problem
    Unused File Extension PROGID's, HKCR\PROGID's,
    Unused File Extension R6 HKCR\R6
    Unused File Extension R7 HKCR\R7
    Unused File Extension R7, HKCR\R7,
    Unused File Extension releases. HKCR\releases.
    Unused File Extension require HKCR\require
    Unused File Extension s HKCR\s
    Unused File Extension should HKCR\should
    Unused File Extension so HKCR\so
    Unused File Extension solve HKCR\solve
    Unused File Extension specific HKCR\specific
    Unused File Extension that HKCR\that
    Unused File Extension the HKCR\the
    Unused File Extension There HKCR\There
    Unused File Extension this HKCR\this
    Unused File Extension thumbsup HKCR\thumbsup
    Unused File Extension to HKCR\to
    Unused File Extension TT HKCR\TT
    Unused File Extension unaffected. HKCR\unaffected.
    Unused File Extension uninstall HKCR\uninstall
    Unused File Extension using HKCR\using
    Unused File Extension version HKCR\version
    Unused File Extension ways HKCR\ways
    Unused File Extension with HKCR\with
    Unused File Extension would HKCR\would

    A few of the entries may be permissions issues (IOSbmpfile, for example).
    But the rests look more like dropping text into the registry.

    Thank you for any help understanding this.
    kmf

    System Info:
    Component Details Subscore Base score
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz 5.9 5.3
    Determined by lowest subscore

    Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB 5.4
    Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT 5.5
    Gaming graphics 2303 MB Total available graphics memory 5.3
    Primary hard disk 632GB Free (689GB Total) 5.9
    Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium

    System

    Manufacturer HP-Pavilion
    Model KJ376AA-ABA m8430f
    Total amount of system memory 4.00 GB RAM
    System type 64-bit operating system
    Number of processor cores 4

    Storage

    Total size of hard disk(s) 1164 GB
    Disk partition (C:) 632 GB Free (689 GB Total)
    Disk partition (D:) 1 GB Free (10 GB Total)
    Media drive (E:) CD/DVD
    Disk partition (J:) 363 GB Free (466 GB Total)

    Graphics

    Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
    Total available graphics memory 2303 MB
    Dedicated graphics memory 512 MB
    Dedicated system memory 0 MB
    Shared system memory 1791 MB
    Display adapter driver version 7.15.11.6960
    Primary monitor resolution 1920x1200
    DirectX version DirectX 10

    Network

    Network Adapter Realtek RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet
    NIC (NDIS 6.0)
    Network Adapter USB Wireless 802.11 b/g Adaptor
    Network Adapter Eset Personal Firewall Miniport
    Network Adapter Eset Personal Firewall Miniport
    Network Adapter Eset Personal Firewall Miniport
    Network Adapter Eset Personal Firewall Miniport
    Network Adapter Microsoft Tun Miniport Adapter
    Network Adapter Eset Personal Firewall Miniport

    kmichaelf, Nov 6, 2008

  2. kmichaelf

    kmichaelf Guest

    Louie,
    thank you for the reassurance. That was most of what I was looking for, but
    am also looking for a root cause. I have had performance issues (slow
    response and loading times, boot times, etc, that go away on cleaning.) The
    performance improved dramatically after HiJack cleaning and CCleaner. It has
    since that point (5 days ago) started to slow, so I repeated the process and
    among other items found these. Have also done scans with Defender and ESET
    NOD32, which found nothing. What intrigued me about these extensions was how
    could they come about, and is one of the programs I am running putting in
    improper registry values. Some I am looking for a root cause, if anyone
    recognizes what might be going on.
    kmf

    kmichaelf, Nov 6, 2008