odd behavior, constantly refreshing desktop icons

Pamela G

I have a new laptop that came with Vista Ultimate pre-installed. I am
following posts here and on several other newsgroups and have not seen this
behaviour mentioned yet. I still am not real happy with how long this OS
seems to take to boot up, but am working on all the potential fixes
mentioned.

The oddity started recently. Whenever I change programs, switch users, or do
*anything* or even sometimes nothing, the icons on the desktop refresh.
They blank out, then reset themselves. It causes a delay in opening
anything. Of course, it seems many things cause delays on this OS. LOL. I
can't wait until all the bugs are fixed.

Any ideas?

Toshiba Satellite A205-S4629
Intel duo core T-5500, 1.66 GHz
2 Gig DDR memory
185 Gig hard drive

I did run system diagnostics, and the only glitch is that my hd throughput
is generally at the limit. sigh. Not too sure what else to do there. It is
defragged regularly. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Pamela

Spirit

I suspect you need new video drivers, Go to the makes website and
download their new drivers and other programs. My new Toshiba
laptop started to fly after I did same.

Pamela G

I went through device management and checked for new drivers on everything.
According to that, I have all current drivers. No separate video driver on
this laptop, unfortunately. Just the mobile Intel chipset video driver. And
device management says it is up to date. Toshiba updates say the same thing.
Any other ideas?

Thanks
Pamela

Spirit

Did you go to the Toshiba site and update your other drivers? Try turning
Aero OFF.... also the indexing on a new laptop could cause issues however
after two weeks I would suspect its done that. What programs are you using
at startup? Do you have the McAfee that came with your system running? I
uninstalled McAfeee and use AVG or AVAST now.

And Intel Drivers ARE your video drivers.... its on board video, mine has
Intel 945.

Which Toshiba model do you have?

Spirit

I would also check TaskManager for running programs,,,,,,,,,, something is
interfering is a good guess.

Pamela G

Yes, I did do the Toshiba site update routine. And I deleted McAfee after a
few days due to email issues, and used the extra tool on the McAfee site as
well as the uninstall program. I know better. LOL I have Avast now, with
email scanning turned off. However I do notice even that has an icon
resident in my tool tray, and it has a tendancy to spin like it is working
on something a lot.
As far as startup programs, the typical resident ones are there. I also have
a Logitech cordless mouse and Adobe speed Reader on there. Unfortunately,
with Vista, I no longer know exactly which resident startup programs are
safe to delete and what isn't. I still have a pretty steep learning curve to
climb here. I miss XP!
By the way, I am noticing that this icon blank out is more common when I
click the windows icon start button. Does that give you any more ideas?
Oh, and my model and such is in my first post. Toshiba Satellite A205-S4629.
Video drivers are Intel 945 GM/GU. According to the driver update function
on my Device Manager, the drivers are the most current. Should I check with
Intel instead?

Thanks
Pamela

Spirit

Use Windows Defender or MSCONFIG and list your startup programs.
Then paste them in here. Also boot up clean, meaning do not start any
extra programs and use Task Manager to see what is running, Post them
in here.

Spirit

Since this is a fairly new laptop I would get Toshiba Tech Support envolved.
Be sure to register your lappie first before you call.

Pamela G

Update:
I went to the Intel website and found a slightly newer driver, and
downloaded it. (7.14.10.1283) Now I no longer have constantly refreshing
icons. BUT, any screen that asks permissions or in boot sequence or changing
users has rolling breaks running through it. The screen is fine in normal
mode. So still issues, although Device Manager states the drivers are up to
date and that the devices are working normally. I also went to a site
recommended on this newsgroup with a list of tweaks for Vista, and removed
some non essentials on the services list. (mostly turned off services that
allow networked computer access, since this is a non-networked machine)

Safe mode task manager shows typical Windows stuff, plus my cordless mouse
and Avast. Plus the stuff that Toshiba adds in. I scan at least weekly for
spyware, viruses, and other malware using Avast, Defender, AdAware, and
Spybot. I did un-immunize in Spybot after learning about conflicts with
Vista.

Defender startup list is :

Adobe Acrobat (reader_sl.exe)
Adobe Update Manager
Logitech Desktop Messenger (cordless mouse utility)
Logitech Set Point (KHALMNPR.exe) x2
Seagate toolkit (toolkit.exe)
NDSTray.exe
MS Media Center Tray Applet (ehtray.exe)
MS Userinit Logon Application (userinit.exe)
MS Explorer (explorer.exe)
MS Defender (MCASCui.exe)
Chicony traybar (traybar.exe) Toshiba provided camera software
HD Audio Control Panel (RtHDVCpl.exe)
Synaptics Pointing Device (SynTPEnh.exe)
Google Desktop
Toshiba Button Support
Toshiba Flash Cards (TCrdMain.exe)
Toshiba Power Saver (TPwrMain.exe)
Toshiba Zooming Utility (SmoothView.exe)
Avast Antivirus (ashDisp.exe)
Intel Common User Interface (igfxtray.exe)
Intel Common User Interface (hkcmd.exe)
Intel Common User Interface (igfxpers.exe)

So, should I roll back the video driver again? Or any other
suggestions/tweaks are welcome. Thanks so much for your help.

Pamela

Spirit

I would get rid of the Adobe at startup. Your problems could be related
to your Logitech,,, have heard problems with many and no Vista Drivers
for some. Remove the Logitech and reboot with just the touch pad and
see what happens.

Pamela G

Done. Stopped Adobe, the camera toolkit as Windows Defender said it was not
working right anyway, Google, and the mouse software at startup.

Still have the issue with the rolling breaks in information screens,
although main screens are stable. The cordless mouse I bought recently was
marked as Vista certified. But before restarting that, I will go to the
Logitech website and look for driver updates.

Any other ideas? According to Defender, my computer is normal. According to
Toshiba Updates, I am up to date on software drivers. sigh.

Pamela