NTUSER.DAT contents

Matthew

Does anybody know what information Windows logs or stores
in NTUSER.DAT? I was unable to open the file from Windows
(maybe I should try from DOS).

If the file gets too big, can it be edited or deleted?

Thanks!

Mark V

In said:
Does anybody know what information Windows logs or stores
in NTUSER.DAT? I was unable to open the file from Windows
(maybe I should try from DOS).

That's part of your (account's) Profile. Do not mess with it!

An account profile consists of those files and folders you can see
for the account. As in (example)
c:\documents and settings\USERNAME\...
The ntuser.dat file within that profile tree is the registry for the
account. In other words the HKEY_CURRENT_USER section of the
registry while that account is logged on. There is another part
named usrclass.dat as well. And matching .log files.

Mark V

In said:
Does anybody know what information Windows logs or stores
in NTUSER.DAT? I was unable to open the file from Windows
(maybe I should try from DOS).

That's part of your (account's) Profile. Do not mess with it!

An account profile consists of those files and folders you can see
for the account. As in (example)
c:\documents and settings\USERNAME\...
The ntuser.dat file within that profile tree is the registry for the
account. In other words the HKEY_CURRENT_USER section of the
registry while that account is logged on. There is another part
named usrclass.dat as well. And matching .log files.

Bill Peele [MS]

--------------------
From: "Matthew" <[email protected]>
Subject: NTUSER.DAT contents
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 09:44:27 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.registry

--

All user-specific configuration information (which is displayed in Registry Editor as HKEY_CURRENT_USER) is stored in
the NTUSER.DAT file in the \Documents and Settings\<username> folder.

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.

Bill Peele [MS]