Windows Vista NTFS + File segment #### unreadable

Reaction score
Hi, I'm not sure if this is the correct area to post this question. If not, I apologize. First of all, I'll attach the info from SIW.

• Operating System: Windows Vista
  • Anti Virus Software :In process of installing NOD32
  • Anti Spyware Software : none
  • How do you connect to the net : Cable/Wireless
  • Computer Specifications
    - Motherboard vendor: Quanta
    - Physical memory: 3062 MB
    - CPU: Intele(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5750 @ 2.00GHz
    - Video Processor: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family
Friday morning, my laptop was still in good shape, however, did notice that it was a bit slower than usual. I turned my laptop off, took it over to my sister's place, turned it on .. at windows login after entering my password it would just load... but won't go into Windows.

Turned it off, couple hours later went home tried to turn it on again. This time the chkdsk scan took part, i believe there's 3 part to the scan, but I only see it 1% (1 of 3) about 5-10 mins later 2% (1 of 3) then it shutdown and automatically restarts and does the same thing. After... i dont' know how many scans, there was that time I saw the screen just running files... 'File segment ##### unreadable...' it would for about 30mins to an hour all the way to about 200,000 + files that were unreadable.

I asked a friend, and he told me to try a restore so at the HP logo I pressed F11/F8 or something to perform the restore. The latest date that I could go back was Jan 6th. clicked on that and next... but at the end, it said I couldn't perform a system restore because it was in a diagnosis state?!!?!
so i clicked cancel and it restarted... scanned... and did the same thing over and over for the entire afternoon, throughout the evening. I tried to login as safe mode/safe mode command promt.. but same thing... However, tehre was one time taht i was able to get into windows but was unable to see anything had to turn laptop off and back on.. Was unsuccessful. My brother tried but same thing occured. It was about 2AM when we finanly were able to log in windows with safe mode. I managed to transfer basically everything into my external HD. just right when i was done w/ my transfers it restarted again.. Was tired, turned laptop off. The next morning, turned it on again, had to try safe mode. I was able to log in so i did a system recovery and now everything seems fine.

From what I was told and have read in my search, it says that it's possible that my HD is bad/ dying. It was certainly a surprise when I heard this because I bought this HP Pavilion dv6000 just 6 months ago back in August/08. It's still under the one year warrant, just curious if anyone knows what the problem may be and if this would occur again. Just want to know if I should bring thsi back or should I even contact HP since it's still under warranty.

Anything response would be greatly appreciated. Sorry, I don't know how to simply this situation as this has never occured before.

Reaction score
Not really worth messing about with if your still under guarantee but if you manage to boot however just try this

Goto

Start/Run

Type: chkdsk /f

it will tell you do you want to do the check upon reboot as files are being used say yes

the 'f' stands for 'FIX' so dont worry

Not sure if if will work from safemode but try it anyway

Let us know

Reaction score
Thanks for ur response.

I just tried going to run, typed in chkdsk /f .. nothing happen :(

BTW: laptop is currently running in the regular window (managed to do the recovery to the original factory setting while i was in safe mode) but does seem a little bit slower than before.

Reaction score
The machine has to reboot before it will check the drive

So reboot and it will continue. It will take a little longer because of the file checking it has to do

Reaction score
well, I've done the reboot and nothing seems to be happening.
Didn't see it perform a scan.

Reaction score
OK

so when u do that it should tell you it cannot perform scan at present because certain files are in use

it will ask you if you would like to continue the scan the next time you reboot your system

you should say yes or 'y'

when you shut down or reboot it should perform the scan then for you and contine to reboot as normal after scan has completed. it will automatically display and correct any problems during the scan then continue to boot into your regular desktop

Reaction score
Advice.... give up..... get your data of and get the hard-drive replaced via warrenty.
Hard disk are suspectable to shocks and the damage gets worse once it occures.

Reaction score
Yeah you right, once they start to go its just a cascade of failures one after another

Just take it back get it sorted :)

Reaction score
Well, just before I contacted HP I saw a trouble shooting section.

I followed their HDD Self Test.

And as suspected, results = "#10009 - Replace Hard Drive"

I finally contacted HP after that scan, and they said exactly what you had said. "hard drive has gone bad" and now they're sending me a new one for replacement!!!

Thanks TriplexDread & JaLing!

- Kelly.

Reaction score
Back again with some troubles which is really getting on my nerves.
wallbash.gif
wallbash.gif

HP has shipped the new HDD to me, and I have received it this morning.

About an hour ago, did as they instructed in the manual http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01295877.pdf (pg 51-52).
After replacing the HDD, I turned the notebook on and what appears was a black screen with a message on the top left hand corner "Operating System Not Found." :confused:

Is there something that I'm supposed to do? Perhaps choose one of the options at the start up HP Logo .. (esc, f2, f10,f11?) I can't even read the options, loads to fast :(
or
should I just contact HP again or maybe hit the store (Futureshop) and ask them???

bowdown.gif
Please help!!!
bowdown.gif

Thanks,
Kelly :(

Reaction score
They have not Preinstalled an operating system on the drive for you it seems
Oh dear. Do you have the operating system disk at all?

You going to have to call them I think

Reaction score
I'm not quire sure what the operating system disk is, but I got it up and running. I just stuck my recovery disk in, and reboot the notebook and it installed. Quite interesting.

I'm probably better off using my desktop where I've never encounter this many problems. :(

My HP notebook worked for a couple days, updated and everything.

It now tells me to update again, but Error was found when I clicked check updates.
Untitled.jpg

I clicked on "Get help with this error", followed some of the trouble shooting methods and still unable to fix this. Apparently, it says the Clock on my notebook isn't correct?!

Anyone help please? :bow:

Many thanks,

Kelly

Reaction score
:)
Did a restore back to the day after and it fixed the problem.. apparently, somehow the date changed in my pc. went all the way back from 2009 to 2001. Weird :D

Thanks all again!

Ask a Question