    Manager. When I open it, it is telling me that NTFILERW is missing. I have
    searched the Microsoft Website and the internet but only found 2 other people
    with the same problem, and no solutions.

    Guest, Nov 10, 2005

    Wesley Vogel Guest

    See if NTFILERW is listed in Services.

    Start | Run | Type: services.msc | Click OK |
    If found, double click it and look at everything to see if you can figure
    out what it is.

    Do a Search on your machine for NTFILERW.

    HOW TO: Search For Hidden Or System Files In Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302347

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:,
    StodgyWaif <> hunted and pecked:

    Wesley Vogel, Nov 10, 2005

    I followed both of your suggestions with no results. I looked at the
    properties of every service and none of them were either named NTFILERW or
    had it in there Path to executable: box. A full search with hidden and system
    files only yielded results in my Cached Internet Files as I have been
    searching the name NTFILERW. The Event Properties for the Error from the
    Source "Service Control Manager" shows in the Description Box:

    The NTFILERW service failed to start due to the following error:

    Thanks alot for your help

    Guest, Nov 10, 2005

    Kelly Guest

    Hi,

    From Alexizo (MVP):

    It seems to be that this related to Service Control Manager (SCM).

    That usually happens after to have installed the Service Pack 1 and to have
    made later some type
    of recovery of the system, like a restoration to a previous point or a
    repair.

    If that is the case:

    It makes the following procedure:

    Beginning - To execute - regedit

    it sees until the key:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RasMan\PPP\EAP

    and it eliminates all the subkey except 13 and 4

    Now from Control Panel, it executes "Administrative Tools - Services"

    and it places in automatico the services:

    - Administrator of auto logon of remote access
    - Telefonia
    - Administrator of connection of remote access

    Comentanos.

    --
    Alexander Curquejo
    Microsoft MVP

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP/DTS&XP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    Kelly, Nov 10, 2005

    Kelly Guest

    That error message produces:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...due+to+the+following+error&btnG=Google+Search

    Kelly, Nov 10, 2005

    Ok, I searched my registry for NTFILERW and it seem to be a driver for
    something. One entry pointed to C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\NTFILERW.SYS. I'm
    not sure what this driver is for especially as all the hardware in my system
    seems to be working without it.
    Thanks again

    Guest, Nov 11, 2005

    Wesley Vogel Guest

    Here's what Google knows about NTFILERW.SYS
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&as_qdr=all&q=+NTFILERW.SYS&btnG=Search

    Locate NTFILERW.SYS in C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers and right click it.
    Properties | Version tab. Description??? Copyright???

    Click a category on the left to display the information on the right.

    Other version information
    Item Name:
    Company
    File Version
    Internal Name
    Language
    Original File Name
    Product Name
    Product Version

    If NTFILERW.SYS is legitimate there ought to be some info identifying what
    it's for and who wrote it, etc.

    Clean out your Temporary Internet Files.

    Update your antivirus and antispyware apps and run full system scans.

    To delete *all* Temporary Internet Files...

    1) Start | Run | Type: inetcpl.cpl | OK
    Or right click the Internet Explorer icon on your Desktop.
    Or: Start | Settings | Control Panel | Internet Options.
    Best to do this with all instances of Internet Explorer closed. Especially
    if there are a large number of files.
    2) On the General Tab, in the middle of the screen, click on Delete Files
    3) Check the box Delete all offline content {This cleans >>
    %homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
    AND
    %homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5
    and \Content.MSO (Created by an MS Office program)}
    4) Click on OK and wait for the hourglass icon to stop after it deletes the
    temporary internet files
    5) You can now click on Delete Cookies and click OK to delete cookies that
    websites have placed on your hard drive.

    Wesley Vogel, Nov 12, 2005

    My protection is up to date and I do regular scans of my system. The problem
    is actually that the C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\NTFILERW.SYS is missing...
    Therefore I don't have a way to see what it is for.
    Thanks again.

    Guest, Nov 12, 2005

    Wesley Vogel Guest

    A registry entry is telling services.exe it needs to start NTFILERW.SYS,
    whether it can be found or not.

    At startup, Svchost.exe checks the services portion of the registry to
    construct a list of services that it needs to load. The Services Control
    Manager (services.exe) is responsible for starting, stopping and interacting
    with system services.

    See if there is an entry for NTFILERW here...
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services

    If NTFILERW is listed in the above key, there is probably a Value Name of
    Start.

    You also might do a Search for NTFILERW in the registry.

    Open regedit, hit F3, type NTFILERW in the Find What box, Find Next
    button. Keep hitting F3 to Find Next.

    You can type the following command in a command prompt to list all stopped
    services and drivers.

    sc query state= inactive

    Might be a clue there.

    Wesley Vogel, Nov 13, 2005