nslookup error

Discussion in 'Windows XP Networking' started by trant, Feb 16, 2010.

  1. trant

    trant Guest

    Hello,

    When I use nslookup I get the error:

    *** Can't find server name for address 192.168.3.1: Non-existent domain
    *** Default servers are not available
    Server: UnKnown
    Address: 192.168.3.1

    192.168.3.1 is my gateway's address (the router)

    I have my TCP/IP settings to automatically fetch both my IP and the DNS
    servers.

    Doing some searching on the net some people say I need to create a PTR
    record for this reverse lookup - but I can't figure out how to do this. One
    article says there should be a DNS Management tool under Control Panel ->
    Administrative Tools but I do not have this...

    How do I resolve this?

    WinXP SP3

    trant, Feb 16, 2010

  2. =?Utf-8?B?dHJhbnQ=?= <> wrote in

    > Hello,
    >
    > When I use nslookup I get the error:
    >
    > *** Can't find server name for address 192.168.3.1: Non-existent
    > domain *** Default servers are not available
    > Server: UnKnown
    > Address: 192.168.3.1
    >
    > 192.168.3.1 is my gateway's address (the router)
    >
    > I have my TCP/IP settings to automatically fetch both my IP and
    > the DNS servers.
    >
    > Doing some searching on the net some people say I need to create a
    > PTR record for this reverse lookup - but I can't figure out how to
    > do this. One article says there should be a DNS Management tool
    > under Control Panel -> Administrative Tools but I do not have
    > this...
    >
    > How do I resolve this?
    >
    > WinXP SP3

    When your router obtains its IP address from your Modem, it should
    also obtain your ISP's DNS server address from your ISP as well. It
    is not unusual, then, for the modem to give out its own local IP
    address as the DNS server because the router will simply forward the
    DNS request to the real DNS server.

    My approach would be first to disconnect all the LAN connections from
    your router then disconnect the power plug to the router for a few
    seconds. Then reconnect power, wait about 1/2 minute, then reconnect
    your LAN connections. (ie cycle power and reset your router).

    If that doesn't work, you can find your ISP's DNS Server addresses
    from the help pages of your ISP's website and manually enter that
    address in your network configuration. That should get you going
    until you can discover why your router is not handling DNS properly.

    HTH,
    John

    John Wunderlich, Feb 16, 2010

  3. Hi
    You can also try one of the public DNS servers (they are vey good).
    Example 4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.3
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Feb 16, 2010