Novice networker requiring urgent help please?

Discussion in 'Windows Networking' started by suey, Mar 7, 2005.

  1. suey

    suey Guest

    Hi
    I have AOL. I have a desktop Athlon 2600 with windows XP home and a
    laptop Thinkpad T22 with BT voyager 1010 USB wireless Lan .In my
    network adapters I have Globespan USB ADSL Lan modem, PPPoE Win
    Miniport, and Realtek RTL8139 Family Pci fast ethernet NIC.....whish is
    all double dutch to me!! At the moment I am using a BT Voyager 105 ADSL
    USB modem. I have windows xp pro on laptop.
    Can anyone tell me exactly what i need to network these two please? I
    have been looking and come up with a Linksys WAG54G Wireless and a
    Linksys: WAP54G - Wireless-G Access Point for a possible wireless
    router. Can anyone tell me if there is a great difference between these
    please as in functionality? I have chance of a WAP54G at a greatly
    reduced price and trying to stay on a low a budget as possible. Do I
    need anything else apart from this wireless router? Will all this work
    together with AOL and will it be easy to set up? I'd be very grateful
    for any help at all as I am a complete novice to networking.
    many thanks
    Suey

    suey, Mar 7, 2005

  2. The WAP54G is simply an access point and would typically be connected to a
    switch to give wireless devices access to a LAN. It could also be connected
    directly or indirectly to a (wired) router, e.g., Linksys BEFSR41, to
    provide Internet access for wireless devices.

    The WAG54G is an ADSL modem + broadband router + 4 port 10/100 switch +
    802.11g access point. THIS IS WHAT YOU NEED IF YOU WANT TO SHARE INTERNET
    ACCESS for both wired and wireless devices and do not have an existing
    broadband router.

    See slideshow re: device connection.
    http://www.linksys.com/edu/networkbasics/Linksys Networking Basics_files/frame.htm

    File sharing etc. explained