Noisy Power pack fan ?

Reaction score
Last night i turn my computer on and everthing was fine then for no reason my power pack fan started to make a loud noise, at first i decide to leave it as in the past sometime, other fans in my case have made a bit of noise then they shut up after abit, so i left it for 10 min but it hadnt shut up, so this worryed me, so i turned the computer of and left it for a few minutes and turn it back on and it was fine for the rest of the night.

thinking that was a 1 off , turned it on tonight and the fan started to make a loud noise again, left it agin didnt work, turn it off then fine again.

Ive had the case and power pack for about 2 years now, and never had a problem with it before. I did try wiping a bit off dust, the fan but that hasnt made any differences, Also i can hear a little scratching (best description) noise, when its ok.

Can anyone give me any ideas off whats happend or happeing
and got any ideas to solve the problem ?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Is it actually the Power Supply in the back of the case making the noise?

It is most likely a cheap bearing fan causing the noise, as it is quite common. Try giving the case a sharp smack if it does the noise again and see if it goes away (happened on an old Tiny PC I had). Better still, get a vacuum cleaner hose and suck away any dust through the back of the PSU fan (leave the case on, just suck it through the back).

Unconventional, but might do the trick!

If all else fails, you can pick up a reasonable PSU for about £25 :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Replace the fan (Maplins) ... if you’re lucky it is NOT soldered to the circuit board ... or replace the PSU, cheap enough. :brow:

Reaction score
Cleaned but no good

Right i gave the psu, a good clean but it hasnt fixed the problem so im going to buy a new one.

im just looked at some new psu and i notice that u can get higher watt psu like 400, i believe mine is 300 watt, is it worth getting a higher watt, or should i just stick to a 300 watt ?

Also my psu has two power plug things, i only use the one for my monitor so should i get a psu with one or with two ?

If u could recommend a psu as long as ur in the UK that would be great. I dont mind spending a bit but I dont want to spend loads like £50, about £25 is my max

Many thanks

RyDan

Ask a Question