Noisy Fan On 9800se

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Well I got all the silent goodies fitted on me pc . Sat back and and switched on expecting to hear the birds singing in the garden . Oooooooooops whats that awful buzzy whiney sound . 1 hour later after lots of tests to eliminate everything I could think of . I puts me trusty chopstick on the motherboard and as I'm moving it around it touches the graphics card , ouch . Ah ha so thats where the sounds coming from . Press down with trust chopstick on centre of fan to stop it momenterialy, keep other chopstick on graphics card and held against ear (this is why chopsticks come in pairs) perfect silence . Hmmmmmmm.

So how do I replace me noisy fan on the graphics card and more importanatly what is the best/silentest/cheapest replacement ??????????????????? :confused:

NB. All chopsticks used in the above procedure were made of WOOD .

:D

Reaction score
Try this first> remove GC > lay down on antistatic surface> pull back fan cover [plastic sleeve] > you will see the bearing or equivalent > apply a little 3in1 oil and I mean a little bit> stick the cover back> now try it:)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
itsme said:
Try this first> remove GC > lay down on antistatic surface> pull back fan cover [plastic sleeve] > you will see the bearing or equivalent > apply a little 3in1 oil and I mean a little bit> stick the cover back> now try it:)

Thanks I'll try that but haven't got 3in1 so I'll have to use DWD40 . For such a small fan it don't half make a loud noise ,I can hear it from 20 feet away . :mad:

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Thanks I'll try that but haven't got 3in1 so I'll have to use DWD40 . For such a small fan it don't half make a loud noise ,I can hear it from 20 feet away . :mad:

NO! dont use Dwd40 it will be to thin and will clean the bearing use a thin OIL
PS stand 30 ft away:lol:

Last edited:
Reaction score
I can hear the fire brigade rushing to Abarbarian's house already, WD40 is flammable, and the fact motors give off tiny sparks isn't great.

Reaction score
cImrie said:
I can hear the fire brigade rushing to Abarbarian's house already, WD40 is flammable, and the fact motors give off tiny sparks isn't great.
nee nor, nee nor, nee nor:rolleyes:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
cImrie said:

Are you sure about that . Its used to spray car electrics . Been using it meslf for 30 years and never had a bike or car go up in flames .

Will use 3in1 as itsme is right about the viscosity .

Reaction score
All i know is that it worked when we set a wasps nest on fire in the shed the other day, first tin came to hand was WD40, sprayed onto the nest, lit, and ran.

Reaction score
cImrie said:
All i know is that it worked when we set a wasps nest on fire in the shed the other day, first tin came to hand was WD40, sprayed onto the nest, lit, and ran.

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Ouchhhhhhhhhhhhhhh:lol:

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Are you sure about that . Its used to spray car electrics . Been using it meslf for 30 years and never had a bike or car go up in flames .

Will use 3in1 as itsme is right about the viscosity .

It is HIGHLY inflammable Used on electrics to dry them out as HT leads on a car get damp/wet WD40 spray will dry them and then protect them, if you did it to a moving component without oiling after it will eventually seize-up:nod: 3in1 is all you need;)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
That'll teach me to read the instructions then . Been using it for years and never once read them , :blush:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Third one down.

I've got a revision one version for sale if you're interested, a fiver plus postage.

And for fan bearings, sewing machine oil is best :)

A little drip'll do ya...

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Third one down.

I've got a revision one version for sale if you're interested, a fiver plus postage.

And for fan bearings, sewing machine oil is best :)

A little drip'll do ya...

Sounds good to me . I think I've got me preferences set so I can recieve e-mails so if you let me know how and where and how much inc postage , I'll be on it straight away .

happywave.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Thanks for the fan floppy .Nearly silent on lowest setting which it is set on all the time . Only tried it on the highest setting for testing . Lowered the temps by a couple of degrees and got rid of that awful high pitched whine so I'm realy happy .
happywave.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Excellent :)

I still have a 9800 Pro in one machine, using the same cooler. It works well.

Ask a Question